"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
,,, how about letting a few of us talk about it, without being forced to agree with you.
There is what, some way I can prevent that, some way I can prevent you talking about it, or some way I can force you to agree with me?

You read my posts. You accept or reject my concepts. You reply to me or you ignore me. It seems to me that you'd be better advised to ignore me. IIRC there's a forum feature for that.

I express my opinions. You're free to agree with me and state it, or disagree with me and state it, or either way you can ignore my opinions and say nothing. Often the latter is the best recourse.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #32
Everymom

Greg, of course it would be preferable to have fresh dough! Nothing like it IMO. However, since I'm going to freeze the stuff anyway...it won't be "fresh" anymore. So, since fresh is off the table, now I'm looking for convenience. I can quite easily prep the toppings, sauce and cheese for the family and its a simple matter for them to assemble and cook. We like this dough recipe both for its flavor and consistency so rather than buy something we don't like, I'm looking for a way to leave something we DO like.

I envy folks like you who can plop out a ball of dough, or decide they want pizza for dinner and go for the gusto. I need to plan for all the time constraints jobs and lessons impose upon our family and at the same time provide a good meal for everyone. Pizza is all the food groups in one round package of deliciousness, and if they know they can pull it together fast, they'll eat that rather than canned ravioli or a granola bar on the way out the door. Its all about offering healthy options that fit their lifestyle.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit and gets us out of the debate zone.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Just discussing. You're in the unfortunate situation of not having enough time to cook it up fresh. I'm in the unfortunate position of not having an adequate oven to cook it up fresh. Until I do all I have to learn from is by asking questions. I'm sorry if my questions seemed unhelpful to you in solving your problems. I hope you have no objections to my sometimes turning the conversation towards learning. Until I get a better kitchen I'm limited to mostly learning and not much cooking. That is why I sometimes ask the questions I ask.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #34
Everymom

Greg, I'm never opposed to learning or teaching for that matter (it pays my bread and butter!) Please do feel free to learn as much as possible until you can experiment on your own. I believe the issue is more that you sort of took the thread to a place about what is best rather than answering the question put forward. That lends itself to upset at times.

As for me and my dough, we're in prep stage one right now. Dough is made and is in its first rise. I'll get it spread out and parbaked within the hour and I'll report back later this week to let you all know how the freezing experiment went and how the family liked it. Thanks for all the help. Now if only I could find a decent peel here in town...
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #35
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Now if only I could find a decent peel here in town...

I will have to find it but I got one for Christmas and it was shipped.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #36
Everymom

I've seen a couple on Amazon, but its hard to tell how thick they are. If you have a recommendation I'd appreciate it!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I've seen a couple on Amazon, but its hard to tell how thick they are. If you have a recommendation I'd appreciate it!
Are you looking for wood or metal? I have wood one I bought at W-S for $10 years ago and it does the job.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #38
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I am having trouble finding the one I ended up with. It is wood but I wanted a longer handle with a small paddle.

I will ask Kathleen.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Frank, what does the semolina in this recipe do for the dough? how is it different from using all bread flour?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I am having trouble finding the one I ended up with. It is wood but I wanted a longer handle with a small paddle.

I will ask Kathleen.
I have a pair of 16" X 17" with 25" handles. They're a good size for 14"+ pies. The wood is a tad thin (1/2") but that can be an advantage.

16" x 17" Wooden Pizza Peel with 25" Handle

Tags
pizza