"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #51
Sous Chef
I would add that as you top your pizza, continue giving it a llittle shake every so often to make sure it still will continue to slide on your "ball bearings" of cornmeal. There could be be spots that begin sticking after the weight of your toppings.

Good luck.

an old cook, still learning new tricks!
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
Where's the little green button at the top that brings you to the last post that hasn't been read? It is missinig on this thread! Now that I have found it, I look for it everytime I open a thread.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Where's the little green button at the top that brings you to the last post that hasn't been read? It is missinig on this thread! Now that I have found it, I look for it everytime I open a thread.
If you have already read all the posts, the green button isn't there. Once in a while, usually on threads with only one page, it just isn't there.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #54
Assistant Cook
I have a different method for grilling pizza. I assemble the pizza on a round aluminum pizza pan, the kind with lots of holes in it, NOT non-stick (they can't take the heat). I preheat the grill with all the burners turned to high for 15 minutes. I place a wok ring, the ring you place under the wok to keep it steady (they are $3 at the restaurant supply store), directly in the middle of the grill and I place the pizza pan on the ring and close the lid. The temp is 750-800F. The pizza takes 4 minutes to cook and it browns in a very lovely rustic way--it's as close as I can get to the pizzas of Naples (they are cooked at 1050F). I love this method. You must be very careful because everything is so blistering hot, and you must get the pizza off the pan within 30 seconds or it will burn because the pan keeps cooking it. It doesn't work to put the pan directly on the grill, it must be elevated on the wok ring.
runwestierun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #55
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
The wok ring is a great idea - I'm going to give it a try.
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #56
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Has anyone tried:

The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

I have it on my wish list of things I "think" I want to acquire as I embark on my adventure of being a Pampered Chef consultant. The good, the bad, the ugly? What about the microwave chip maker? Again, I have that circled as s/thing I want!

The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

I haven't tried the pan so can not assist you there but I DO own 2 of the microwave chip makers exactly like in the advertisement you've linked to. My advice based on experience is to suggest that you save your money with these. They do make chips that are reasonable, but truly still a little disappointing. Nowhere near as nice as from a bought packet, although probably healthier due to the lack of all that salt. I followed the instructions to the letter, and over about 6 or 7 attempts.

I'd rate the results at 6/10 IMHO. Sorry to be a damn squid but it is an honest answer for you.
Phocaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #57
Head Chef
I didn't read the entire thread, but what I did read here is different from every pizza grilling method or recipe I've read. I've never read any that recommend anything but cooking the crust directly on the grill. I made pizza for 3 of us tonight as my neighbor's wife is in Hawaii caring for her sick mother. I used a method from a special edition from Fine Cooking magazine. It's called simply "Pizza on the Grill", and it has made a believer out of me. I made the crust according to their basic recipe. I cooked it by their 1-2-3 method, using their recommended alteration for finishing in the oven when cooking more than one or 2 pizzas. I made 3 crusts, rolled out thin, then grilled at medium direct heat for 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the second side. This can be done the morning of the party and they will keep just fine at room temperature. Then what I did was preheat the oven to 450, bake the crusts for about 4 minutes to re-crisp them, then apply toppings and cook for another 7 minutes. The best I've ever had, bar none. Next time when it's just me and my wife, I'll make 2 crusts (we prefer different topping combos) and do them complete on the grill by finishing them on medium indirect heat.

What I don't get is why so many here use a stone? My stone lives in my oven and is used mostly for free standing breads or focaccia, but never on the grill. I've used several methods of grilling and never used anything but the grill grate, and it has always worked just fine, only tonight's was a cut above because of using a different heat level. It was a wonderfully crisp, crunchy crust that held up to all the toppings you could pile on. The sauce recipe also came from the same source, and may have contributed much to the success of the meal, but the crust was a real hit.

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote

grill, pizza