"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i just threw away the last i bought from von's which is safeway. cooked first piece about a month ago. tasted just awful, couldn't even eat it. tasted off. i froze the rest, keep telling myself i would eat it . two months and i didn't so tossed it. kills me to throw away food. but if it tastes off it probably is. my son gets his at a local market privately owned and is never disappointed. but man is it pricy.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #12
Head Chef

I have bought the frozen Trader Joe's tuna several times. I usually buy the tuna steaks that are already vacuum sealed in a marinade. They are pretty good grilled. I believe this tuna is flash frozen right on the boat so this might explain why it isn't a vibrant red color - ? Not sure. I'm sure Whole Food tuna is leaps and bounds better but I won't be paying $20/lb for it to find out.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
Cook

Looking back on the Safeway tuna, it wasn't too great. It had a slightly mealy consistency and was definitely nowhere near the quality of Whole Foods. I won't be buying it again.

I'll keep trying different places. TJ's and HT's next (I found out my Costco doesn't have the frozen vacuum sealed ones, only fresh ones very rarely and usually only one or two packages of it). If nothing fits the bill, back to Whole Foods I go, haha.

Check out this article on tuna, kinda sucks they have to resort to this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uper-tuna.html
Old 09-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I tried the frozen Safeway Ahi. Horrible. Stringy flesh and absence of flavor. There were two in the package. Second one will be fully cooked and turned into tuna salad for sandwiches.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiThom View Post
I tried the frozen Safeway Ahi. Horrible. Stringy flesh and absence of flavor. There were two in the package. Second one will be fully cooked and turned into tuna salad for sandwiches.
Did you happen to notice what country/region the tuna was a "Product of"?
I've seen some sneaky labeling that had the name of a city in the US known for a product on the package, only to find that the actual origin of the product was China. The product was shipped in bulk to that city and packaged there, thus the labeling. Unless it is fresh, from a well respected fish monger or frozen by friends that caught it, finned fish has to be whole for my inspection before I will buy it.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Product source-Indonesia

That is what the packaging says.

You are fortunate to have a source of fish locally. Only fish mongers "close" to me are 30 miles away and 4 oz of ahi is not enough incentive to drive that far. It's just one more thing that gets removed out of my diet except when at a decent restaurant that has it.

Only reason I bought it was I wanted to try a sous vide treatment. Fish quality itself was poor so I still don't know whether or not sous vide is a good way to go with this.

They have decent looking ahi at Costco, but you have to buy so much of it.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Does it matter what type it is as long as it isn't an endangered variety and is sourced & fished responsibly.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Speaking of what to do with substandard Ahi

Any ideas other than making an expensive tuna salad? It wouldn't work as anything raw, but maybe a poke if I cut the tuna into small enough bites?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiThom View Post
Any ideas other than making an expensive tuna salad? It wouldn't work as anything raw, but maybe a poke if I cut the tuna into small enough bites?
Poke usually uses raw fish, especially when it's tuna. I would go with your fully cooked idea and try to break it up and get the stringy parts out if you feel you absolutely must eat it.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Breeze I am sooo jealous!
$4.99 a lb? The best that I've seen at my local grocery stores has been $6.99 a lb. and that's not even sushi grade......
I've been buying the vacume sealed frozen tuna from Costco which I cook rare. I've never had any problems.
Crikey! You're lucky with both prices. I passed the fishmonger's in the village yesterday and the sign said the price of fresh tuna was the equivalent of about $17!!

Tags
None