"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I buy my lox directly from manufacturer. According to the company, as long as fish stays frozen, in a well-sealed package there is absolutely no problem to keep it for even a year. And I have done it too. Taste change is practically undetectable.
Commercial blast freezing is not the same as do-it-yourself freezing.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I buy my lox directly from manufacturer. According to the company, as long as fish stays frozen, in a well-sealed package there is absolutely no problem to keep it for even a year. And I have done it too. Taste change is practically undetectable.
Do you buy it frozen or freeze it yourself?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you buy it frozen or freeze it yourself?
A. Lot of times I buy it frozen, right before my flight home. Some times it stays frozen, sometimes it is at least partially defrosted. I do freeze it when I bring home. I was told not to worry and go ahead and refreeze it.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Update: Since my positive results from freezing lox a week or so ago, I took the next step.

I normally buy lox at the supermarket in a 3 ounce (85 gr.) pack for $5.29. That's two bagel's worth of lox. Doing the math that's $2.65 per bagel. This past weekend I bought lox at Costco. It was 24 ounces (680 gr.) for $21.99. I got 14 portions so that comes out to $1.57 per bagel.

It's all in the freezer now so I'm set for about 5 weeks. That's two weeks for you, Greg.
I'm using my second frozen for about a week lox and it's still just about as good as fresh. I can see a barely imperceptible degradation in texture (it's just slightly mushy) but compared to the crispness of the toasted bagel and the crispness of the fresh, sliced onion, it's barely noticeable.

Considering supermarket lox is several times more expensive than Costco or Super King, well worth the small sacrifice of having slightly mushy lox. Actually I don't find the mushiness even significant.

But I do think I should get off eating lox 'n bagel every day. I've been throwing in a few BLT with egg on bagel and egg/cheese on tortilla, just because I think it's not good to eat the same thing every day.

Even if I like it! :)
Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And your portions are slightly larger.
I don't really measure the lox proportions. I just lay out what looks right. I think the biggest dietary risk is the cream cheese. I try to lay a thin coating of CC.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I don't really measure the lox proportions. I just lay out what looks right. I think the biggest dietary risk is the cream cheese. I try to lay a thin coating of CC.
We don't measure the portions either. Like you, we just add lox until it looks right. We use quark instead of cream cheese - less fat but it tastes wonderful. I'm not usually a fan of "low fat", but we don't notice any less yum.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #47
Executive Chef

I probably use 1-1/2 to 2 ounces lox per bagel. I'm trying to reduce the cream cheese serving.

Hey, at least you can have as much onions as you like, right? (I do not currently have a significant other, and my planned strategy is to hook her on lox, bagel, onion and cream cheese, if possible.)

Unfortunately I always seem to tempt my girlfriends into fattening foods. I think I should change my lifestyle, since I don't want to fatten up my GFs.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I probably use 1-1/2 to 2 ounces lox per bagel. I'm trying to reduce the cream cheese serving.

Hey, at least you can have as much onions as you like, right? (I do not currently have a significant other, and my planned strategy is to hook her on lox, bagel, onion and cream cheese, if possible.)

Unfortunately I always seem to tempt my girlfriends into fattening foods. I think I should change my lifestyle, since I don't want to fatten up my GFs.
Don't forget the capers, they are pretty low cal. And quark is a great substitute for cream cheese. You can get that in lower fat than cream cheese without any weird additives.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #49
Executive Chef

I never heard of "quark." Never tried capers on my lox/bagel. I've been putting less cream cheese...

Trader Joe's recently started stocking lox in reasonable prices, maybe not as good as SK but closing in.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I never heard of "quark." Never tried capers on my lox/bagel. I've been putting less cream cheese...

Trader Joe's recently started stocking lox in reasonable prices, maybe not as good as SK but closing in.
You should give the capers a try, the quark too. You can probably find quark at the health food store. I make my own.

Tags
lox, other, salmon