What is/are your favourite fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at a large primarliy chinese food market Friday, and the fish there were in great variety and really fresh. They even had several tanks full of live Tilapia, looked about a pound or so in size. I believe with fish that the fresher the better, Talked to the proprietor, and she told me that the chinese customers would not buy fish if it was not truly fresh. I don't know if this is typical in other areas, but you can bet that this will be my fish store of choice. I like Thai style fried fish, and I will try the fresh Tilapia next week. The tanks and the counters were full, so I am guessing that delivery is taken on Friday mornings.

BigJim - I've seen tanks of Tilapia, & eel, & whatever at Asian markets as well. Just be sure before you buy that you take a good look at the tanks as far as their cleanliness. Fish swimming around in copious amounts of their own feces aren't necessarily "fresh", even though they're still alive. ;)

This is one reason why I continue to steer clear of Tilapia.

I like Salmon, Bass, Walleye, Mahi Mahi, Swordfish, Snapper, Grouper, and Oysters (but only if they're fried, can't get the raw ones down the throat). I don't get to eat much of the Snapper, Grouper and Swordfish as they are on the depleted list, but it's a treat when I do find a restaurant or store that has them.

Oysters (but only if they're fried, can't get the raw ones down the throat).

I hear a lot of people say this, and it baffles me. I've literally eaten 3 dozen raw oysters in a sitting. I think it's probably my favorite seafood item, aside from *maybe* raw salmon belly. I guess it's a texture thing, but I just adore the slippery briny little guys.

Anyway, my favorite fish are:

-Salmon (raw)
-Dover Sole
-Mahi Mahi
-Butterfish/Sable/Black Cod
-Sturgeon
-Skate

Misoyaki Butterfish is probably my favorite of all fish preparations. I think I might have been Hawaiian in a past life or something.

In order:
Brook trout, or any trout caught in the cold stream that empty into Lake Superior, no larger than 14 inches.

Swordfish, grilled over charcoal

Ahi Tuna, Grilled over charcoal

Smelt

yellow Perch

Walleye

Bass

Halibut

Orange Roughy

Bullheads (out of clean, pristine water)

Any properly smoked fresh water fish.

For other marine life (and all of these equally well):

Scallops
clams
squid (especially deep-fried in batter)
crab
lobster
frog legs
skate

That's not all by any means, but it's a good start.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My favorite fish is tilapia because it is so light and most often buttery. That being said, I have not tried many different types of fish. I hear snapper is very delicate which I am interested in trying. I have had salmon about once every other week for my whole life so right now I am pretty sick of it.
I also had a bad experience with orange roughy when I was young. Have been frightened of the fish ever since (food-wise).

Waterboy, you'll have to try Orange roughy again, very good - like cod, Pollack is very good too for fish n chips - both mild fish.

Waterboy, you'll have to try Orange roughy again, very good - like cod, Pollack is very good too for fish n chips - both mild fish.

Orange roughy is not a good choice these days. It's seriously overfished, and is now on the endangered list.

Here's a link to a list of sustainable seafood that's recommended for eating.

Big fan of Cod for fish sandwhiches.

Salmon...a rare treat.

Rare? Really good tuna.

I LOVE wahoo, but it is rarely available in this area (and besides, its best eaten beach side watching the tide roll in).

I gotta renew my fishing license. The snow's almost gone and the fishing poles are calling my name. But the money, it's all going into my daughters wedding. But I'm tellin' ya, come the May 18th (the day after I get back from Tacoma), I'm gonna buy that license, with a trout and salmon stamp! I have my new fly rig, and my ultra-light all spooled loaded with premium line, and am setting up a fly-tying room. The fishing jones is working in me right now, and this thread isn't making things any easier. But I'll stay cool.:cool: I'll be Ok.

Breathe GW, breathe, slow and easy.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

137122160_e5ce9f6123.jpg
Coral Trout for me as a reef fish or
137123759_e9cba6bdaf.jpg
Threadfin King Salmon as an estuary fish. Then I'm pretty partial to
137121185_318f98737b.jpg
the Queensland Mud Crab

Cobia-a migrating fish - around here we catch them w/live eels 100 yards off the beach but only durnig march and april...grill it

Back
Top Bottom