"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 03-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Greek Restaurant Name and Menu in Tourist Area???

Hello everyone I'm new on this online community, as this is my first post. I first want to thank you all for your input and contributions so far on this wonderful network! Wishing great success and prosperity to all of you working in the restaurant industry!

As I'm on the verge of opening up a new restaurant, I'm challenged once again by picking a name. The concept and menu of the restaurant is a combination of Greek/Mediterrenenan/American quick food and dining (ranging from Gyros, Souvlaki, Mousaka, Lamb, Different Roasts all the way to Home-burgers, Fish & Chips, Pasta's, Classic Sandwiches, Wraps, Some Fish/Seafood and a few soups and appetizers and desserts.....)

This a general picture of my concept so far. My question to all of you is : Does this type of a concept/combination of basic Greek food mingled with some classic American fast food along with a pinch of Italian cuisine work ? I'm trying to create a ballanced menu and a balanced restaurant, with the concept of having your classical quick bites (for eg. Gyros, Pitas, Burgers, Spanakopita, Sandwiches) yet also have your more decent, sit down, homestyle family meals (such as : Greek dinners, Pastas, Roasts, Fish, Salmon and so forth) ? For those of you with experience what do you think of such a concept? I basicaly want to have a quick-bite eatery / family dinning concept going, is this realistic, does it work? What are the potential challenges? Pros and cons?

The location of the restaurant is in a busy North American tourist attraction which hosts people from all over the world in the summer time. I've been trying to choose a name for the place, but constantly find myself arguing with my dad about name suggestions for this is a family operated business, and we have a generation gap. For months now I've chosen the name "Trojan Horse" for different many reasons which would take long time for me to list. My dad disagrees that the name is not simple enough, not trendy, technical and doesn't match with the menu. What do you think? Being in his 60's he has this mentality that choosing your average, generic Greek terms which have been OVER-USED too many times, is best to attract people and catchier. For example his pick is something like Olympia or Olympic Restaraunt.

Any assistance or feedback is very appreciated, sorry for writing so much if there's anything I forgot to mention please let me know and I'll try to address it.

Thank you,

Poly

Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Unfortunately more Americans would probably associate "Trojan" with condoms than the Trojan Horse. I do agree that your dad's choices are probably a little overused. Maybe something with "Mediterranean" or a Mediterranean island's name in it. Maybe you should look up the names of restaurants in Greece and adapt a name from one of them.

Welcome to DC, by the way.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #3
Executive Chef

We spend a lot of time in Greece and the Balkans the food is very similar due to the Ottomans, I cook Kalamata style and I would use trad Greek dishes and the burgers would be with a balkan twist,civapcici, pljeskavica plain or stuffed with feta, lepinja bread,ajvar relish ect.
There are plenty of Greek/US run diners but only a few with the Balkan influence.
I would call it Meet theClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0368.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	10329 its my wifes favorite shop in Athens
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
We spend a lot of time in Greece and the Balkans the food is very similar due to the Ottomans, I cook Kalamata style and I would use trad Greek dishes and the burgers would be with a balkan twist,civapcici, pljeskavica plain or stuffed with feta, lepinja bread,ajvar relish ect.
There are plenty of Greek/US run diners but only a few with the Balkan influence.
I would call it Meet theAttachment 10329 its my wifes favorite shop in Athens
I'm afraid that one would bring a lot of unpleasant nicknames in America.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I'm afraid that one would bring a lot of unpleasant nicknames in America.
Barb, the old adage all publicity is good publicity works for me, I once did a campaign for a sausage maker,I graded his sausages like films, his xxx was a very spicy banger with the strap line The sausage you always wanted to eat but mummy would not let you! I planted a fake letter of disgust from a fictional womens equality group in a national news paper, the orders flew in.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Master Chef

Trojan Horse has only negative connotations.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Half Baked

Opa!

Yamas!

Eupraxia!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Master Chef

PANDAISIA, Greek Mythology Index

I vote for Pandaisia the goddess of banquets! Easy to pronounce, one word, appropriate tie in to food.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Why is it that some of you think that Trojan Horse sends out negative vibes & connotations? Does the fact that some of the most popular condoms are named "Trojan" affect the whole concept for a restaurant?

I forgot to mention that my main reason of picking this name was to accommodate a theme inside and outside of the restaurant. Some ancient Greek decorations. I have this idea of building a big "Trojan Horse" out of wood, metal and ceramic. It would be a big visual 3D horse that would be part of the sign outside, or perhaps even on top of the roof. I mentioned that the area is PACKED with tourists from all around the world, I would assume that most would know about the Trojan Horse from Greek Mythology, also the movie TROY came out not to long ago in Hollywood. The location of the restaurant is full of hotels, gift-shops, amusement parks, entertainment centres, haunted houses and other visual buildings and establishments are all around. Is this to silly of an idea ? Why wouldn't it work ?

PS : I have found about 3 different restaurants on the internet that have used the same name, and seem to be pretty successful...I don't know.
Here's also an idea of what the horse would look like, but obviously not so big

Thanks,

Poly

Tags
menu