"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

There will be a soccer ball-sized wad of stuffing in the middle of the bird that has to cook through while the breast meat gets drier and drier.
I have to ask. I will probably smack my forehead when I get a reply. But, What about Bread, Celery, onions, broth and spices needs to cook through?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If it is put into a raw turkey, it will have to come up to 160 degrees to be safe to eat.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
lisaluvs2cook: Of course you can stuff the turkey if you want to, but it will take you several extra hours to roast it. I hope you have a convection feature on your oven.

I have NEVER brined my turkey nor cooked it in a bag, and it ALWAYS comes out moist and flavorful.

PM me and I will gladly send you my recipes. They're awfully long to paste into a post.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #14
Executive Chef

If you are going to cook the stuffing inside the turkey, don't brine it! The stuffing will be very salty.

When cooking a stuffed turkey, you really will require two probe thermometers; one for the thigh of the turkey (180F), and one for the stuffing (165F). Do not rely on the little plastic plug-in that comes with the turkey. Sometimes they pop early, and sometimes they never pop at all.

I used to cook all my turkeys in a Reynolds cooking bag, and they always came out moist and flavourful, but two years ago I invested in a Rival 18 quart electric turkey roaster and I've never looked back. Not only does it do a wonderful job of cooking the turkey, but it frees up the oven for the potatoes, casseroles, and pies!

I usually pick up at least three extra turkeys just before Thanksgiving when the grocery stores are practically giving them away free fer nuthin, toss them into the deep freeze, and cook them periodically during the rest of the year. I like turkey!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
Head Chef

I always stuff the turkey. While it's true that it could cause problems for people with compromised immune systems, I've eaten stuffed turkeys every year for well over three decades with no problems. My advice is to stuff the bird with hot stuffing. That will help shave a bit of cooking time off.

I also give a big thumbs up to brining the turkey. True, you may want to cut back on the salt in the stuffing but brining will really help keep your bird juicy. I like to brine mine in a 5 gallon bucket- you can fit a big bird in there and the shape allows a small amount of liquid to brine a very large turkey.

While I mostly hate winter, the cold at least allows me to use my front entry way as a walk in cooler! Last Thanksgiving I chilled the brine on my front steps, then put the bird in the brine along with a thermometer probe and left them in the entry. At no point did the temp deviate from 34 degrees! Ended up being the moistest, juiciest turkey I've ever had.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #16
Cook

For lack of a better term, I'm a bit of a food safety nazi. So personally, I always say no to stuffing the turkey. But if it's really means a lot to you, maybe you can have the best of both worlds. I've never tried this, truthfully I just thought of it. Why not cook both the turkey and the stuffing separately at first. Cut down on the salt for the stuffing and, if you like it very moist, cut down on a bit of the liquid. Once both the turkey and the stuffing are cooked, put the stuffing in the turkey while it rests. It's got about 15 minutes to suck in that extra turkey flavor. (That's another thing, always let the turkey rest before you carve it! If you cover it with tin foil it will stay piping hot for at least 20 minutes.) Anywho, like I said, I have no idea if it will work, but you could always try it on one of your testers. Trust me, your turkey and stuffing could be the best in the whole world, but if everyone gets food poisoning from it...well your mom my just invest in the full newspaper. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #17
Master Chef

I was raised on dried out American Mom style turkey and I prefer it.

I cook the celery and onion in butter until it is soft and then add it to my stuffing so the only cooking required is for the eggs I add to bind the stuffing. I stuff both ends of the bird and make a casserole of dressing with the surplus.

The only thing I must have is Bell's poultry seasoning!

If I have time I make the bread used in the stuffing and add a couple of tablespoons of Bell's to the flour. If not I add it to the butter,onion and celery mixture that I add to fresh bread crumbs and cubes.

Please, pass the gravy
Old 10-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I was raised on dried out American Mom style turkey and I prefer it.
By golly you tell 'em. I've had turkey so properly moist, the gravy had nothing to do.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I have to ask. I will probably smack my forehead when I get a reply. But, What about Bread, Celery, onions, broth and spices needs to cook through?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
If it is put into a raw turkey, it will have to come up to 160 degrees to be safe to eat.

PF is right. The juices from the turkey drip into and are absorbed by the stuffing. As a result, it has to be cooked like a raw turkey.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I wouldn't worry too much about the brine making the stuffing too salty, I make gravy from the droppings of the bribed bird and they are fine, not salty at all.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turkey