"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I've only used it for pie crust, but I love it! The healthiest lard has not been treated with growth hormones or regularly dosed antibiotics. Animals (and humans) store toxins in fat, so there is a higher concentration in lard.

Go to a butcher, ideally one with an abattoir. They will know the meat. I buy shares in pork and beef so get lard and tallow that way. Many people still think lard (and other fats) are unhealthy in general so they don't cook with them. There is a good chance a butcher could acquire some for you.

It keeps for a very long time in the fridge (perhaps indefinitely).

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:09 PM   #12
Wine Guy

I use it all the time. There is a fantastic old school butcher shop and deli close to where I work that sells leaf lard for $7/lb. Best stuff in the world for frying. Well, second best really. Duck fat (which they also sell at this place) is numero uno in my book, but is more spendy at 10.00/lb.

As you point out, the Armour lard they sell in grocery stores is hydrogenated and best avoided. If you can find a local source or render it yourself, you'll have a much better product.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #13
Senior Cook

What sorts of things does duck fat really shine with? I've never tried it but sounds good.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #14
Sous Chef

We have it in Winco. I can't remember the name and I have no idea if it's real lard of just a partially hydrogenated kind of thing. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. It's about $1 more expensive than Crisco, so this time I didn't. I do know it smells when it's cooking and I really don't like the smell.

Now I've heard when you go into a butcher's and ask for lard, you're supposed to ask for leaf lard. That's supposed to be the best lard you can get.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:50 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
What sorts of things does duck fat really shine with? I've never tried it but sounds good.
Although I no longer eat them, roasted potatoes are one application where duck fat really shines. I would melt a couple of tablespoons of duck fat and toss the potatoes in it before roasting in the oven.

I also love it for frying eggs, sauteing vegetables, and pan searing meat - especially poultry. It browns food evenly and adds a nice crispness to whatever you fry in it.

It's wonderful stuff. Liquid gold.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:53 PM   #16
Master Chef

Since I buy my lard already processed, I don't need to render any fat. However, I did run across this little gem while reading up on lard. Who knows, maybe I even found it here because another poster stuck it up in one of our threads. Either way, it's interesting - and appropriate to this thread.

I Rendered Lard in My Slow Cooker...
Old 04-25-2016, 06:18 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Manteca is either a brand name or Spanish word for lard. Our local Publix carries it.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Manteca is either a brand name or Spanish word for lard. Our local Publix carries it.
Is it the good leaf lard?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
We have it here to. Its in every grocery store, on the bottom shelf where the oils are stocked. I don't remember the price so I will assume it was was rather inexpensive. Had it been expensive, I would have remembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Is it the good leaf lard?
Whats leaf lard?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #20
Head Chef

Generally to make lard shelf stable it is hydrogenated, hence it has trans fats.

Leaf lard comes from around the kidneys, the rest of the lard comes from all over the pig. Some companies market leaf lard and it is not hydrogenated. You can buy some on Amazon, leaf lard, non hydrogenated.

In our grocery store we can buy it on the shelf and it is hydrogenated, or in the freezer section, non hydrogenated in 1 lb boxes (like butter). Even if I was buying in the freezer section I'd read the label to be sure.