Baking Whole Potatoes Outside the Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amana made the Radarange in Amana, Iowa in the 1960's i think so a lot of our neighbors had them. My mother still thinks they poison the food.

I have a rather alarming Radarange cookbook right here on my desk....

I forgot you were an Iowa girl. Amana did end up making the Radarange. As the kitchen appliance arm of Raytheon, they were better equipped to get the product to the customer. I worked at Raytheon in MA for 5 years but the divisions I worked for were more involved in putting men in space and sending missiles where they would do the most damage.

My suggestion is to bake the potatoes ahead of time. Then near the end of the beef roast {say 45 mins?} coat potatoes in oil and finish on the top rack {assuming you put the roast on the bottom rack} Best of both worlds IMO :yum:

This is what I would do.:chef:

On a trivet in a dutch oven works best if, for crisping, the last 15 to 20 minutes is done with a vented cover. In the likely event that you do not have a vented cover you can try leaving the unvented cover slightly ajar.

Chef Munky said:
Use a crock pot set on high. Brush them with some olive oil, sprinkle on some kosher salt and let em' rip. You can wrap them in foil if you want. But it's not necessary. Give it about 2 hours to cook.

I've used that method many times when making Rosemary potatoes. Works like a charm.

Munky.

I second this method. Works for my picky family.

If it is a ceramic coated Dutch oven, I'd be concerned that you'll discolor it by roasting potatoes on the stovetop.
Searing meats and cooking paprika based sauces will likely cause discoloration anyway. In our experience, MOST ALL enamel ware is susceptible to staining and vigorous cleaning can dull the glaze.

Last edited:
Cook them almost all the way through in the radarrange and finish them in the oven while the meat rests.

I do this all the time.

I think this term for a microwave went out of use somewhere in the middle of the 19th century! That was the name given to the first microwave which was invented at Raytheon in Massachusetts after WWII.

That was what Amana called their first microwave ovens. Amana Radar Range. Great stuff.

I second the nuke til nearly done and then finish in the oven method. It really cuts down on oven time. I do this all the time.

Gourmet Greg said:
Twice Bake Potatoes

The final step is either 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or you could nuke them. You could prepare this recipe the day before.

Mmmmmmm I LOVE twice baked potatoes! Best of the baked and mashed worlds. Might have to make some of these soon...

Back
Top Bottom