"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Calling All Honey Lovers

'I absolutely love honey'..... this is the thought that passes through my mind as I partake of honey coated almonds lightly dusted w/ cinnamon.

I try to use the natural confection as often as I can on as many food items as I can.

My love is fairly new-found - as a child I ran from the stuff.... thanks to my dad and his attempt to substitute my beloved maple syrup with this stuff. My young underdeveloped tastebuds certainly didn't appreciate it then as they do now.

I became reacquainted w/ honey after having a surgery in which there was a great deal of blood loss resulting in my immune system being compromised. I was researching natural ways to boost my system and came across a few sites that touted honey as a natural immune system booster because of its inherent healing properties.

I incorporated it on a dialy basis w/ a little apple cider vinegar and the flood gates of my affection for the sweet sticky stuff burst open.

Since then I have been experimenting with different items to slather it on:
almonds, pecans, biscuits, teas, toast...

What do you use honey on & in?
Please share - I'm dying for some new tastes w/ one of my favorite toppers.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Toast, hot cereal, just a spoon and believe it or not .. dip pretzels in it .. sweet and salty .. yummy !

Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Homemade honey mustard salad dressing. It's the only way I can get members of the house to eat salad.
Honey in coffee instead of sugar.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Straight out of the jar/bottle.

I like to mix it with peanut butter and dip apple slices.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your suggestions guys - I'll have to try them all. :o))
Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's an interesting sweetener in coffee.
Of course it goes well in tea, black or herbal.
Sore throat: add enough lemon juice to a cup of hot, black tea that the tea gets lighter coloured, then add (at least) enough honey that it isn't very tart.
Smear it on athlete's foot to kill the fungus.
On toast with tahini
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I use honey in too many things to list!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Master Chef

I brush bacon with honey before I grill it, I drizzle honey onto plain yogurt and sprinkle with nuts, we eat pancakes with honey, scones, make honey and lemon iced tea, add honey to marinades, eat it on french toast, make honey and banana milkshake, eat chunky cottage cheese with honey on ricecakes (my favourite)brush sweet pastry with honey after baking etc.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

For me a biscuit wouldn't be complete without butter and honey. I often use honey in place of sugar in bread recipes. I like in on oatmeal, drizzled on plain greek yogurt with walnuts. Sometimes right off a spoon!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Master Chef

I love honey on so many different things. Be aware that different types of honey have different flavors. Look in good stores for orange blossom honey, buckwheat honey, wild honey, clover honey (most common honey in grocery stores), etc. You will find that honey adds to cooked veggies. Examples; add honey and butter to fresh steamed carrots, use it with sweet corn kernels, mix in a little honey and butter with mashed, sweet potatoes, or in a sweet potato casserole. Honey adds a wonderful flavor to mashed rutabagas.

Of course, honey can be used as an alternative to sugar in baked deserts, custards, on cereals, hot or cold, drizzled on fresh berries, or mix with cream and pour over fruit, use in cold fruit soups, add to smoothies. We could go on, and on, and on.

Again, try various kinds of honey. I haven't been fortunate to have the famous Tupello honey available to me. I'd like to try it one day. I am fortunate enough to have a friend who has bee hives, and I buy wild honey from him. It's far better than any I can get in the supermarkets.

On the other side of the coin, beware. There is honey imported from China that is cut with corn syrup, and sold as pure honey. There are also products that have "honey" as part of their brand name, but are again made from something else. Know what you are purchasing, and that their are quality differences in the honey you purchase.

Other than that, enjoy this wonderful gift from nature, and her bees. Honey is one of the culinary wonders of the world, IMHO.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honey