Canned tomato sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which canned tomato sauce

• Hunt's

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Redpack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justplainbill

Executive Chef
What's your preference for canned tomato sauce?
We've used Hunts and Redpack.
The plus for Hunt's (aside from our owning ConAgra stock) is that the can liner is non-plastic.
Redpack has a few additional ingredients ( garlic, onion and red peppers).

Sorry, I didn't notice there was a poll.

I don't buy tomato sauce, mostly because it has added salt.

Sorry, I didn't notice there was a poll.

I don't buy tomato sauce, mostly because it has added salt.
I'm with you, kiddo; but I try to compensate by not adding much or any salt to my recipes and prefer a little salt to some other additives as a preservative.
Atsa why I have liitle love for the sun dried tomatoes I tried.

Last edited:
When not using fresh tomatoes I buy store brand, any brand, least expensive brand. When using canned tomato sauce I usually add enough more other ingredients that I doubt I would notice any difference between brands.

When not using fresh tomatoes I buy store brand, any brand, least expensive brand. When using canned tomato sauce I usually add enough more other ingredients that I doubt I would notice any difference between brands.
If I lived in LA, I'd concur about fresh tomatoes (but sometimes time can be at a premium) and affordable fresh cooking tomatoes, during October through June, are not practical in the N.E. US. Store brands can be great but are not always consistent.

Slim pickens tonight- baked Goya Valencia rice with Hunt's tomato sauce, onions, sweet red peppers, hot red pepper flakes, grated Locatelli cheese, and goose fat; steamed spinach and .25litre cuvee rouge.

Agreed. If you're buying caned tomato products, Muir Glen is the best available where I am. I don't go to the expense for some things, but when you'll really taste the tomato, that's the one. My store also carries Cento imported Italian, and it's good, too.

I have found real San Marzano tomatoes are the best for me. I was buying the Pastene brand but didn't want to pay the almost $5 a can price. I tried Cento and found them to be very acidic. I just picked up a couple of cans of Daniele Certified San Marzanos. If they work out, The price is right and I'll stock up.

I tried Muir Glen a few years ago and found them to be overly acidic to my taste.

We buy an organic store brand from our local pharmacy chain. It comes in jars and doesn't have any soy oil and tastes pretty good. We don't use it that often. I use a lot of passata (comes in jars) and add stuff.

I'm with PF. I don't buy canned tomato sauce, either. Just canned tomatoes. Pretty much all of the sauces I've tried taste overcooked.

As far as brands go, I buy Muir Glen most of the time. I also buy organic San Marzano tomatoes, but I can't recall the brand offhand.

I'm with PF. I don't buy canned tomato sauce, either. Just canned tomatoes. Pretty much all of the sauces I've tried taste overcooked.

As far as brands go, I buy Muir Glen most of the time. I also buy organic San Marzano tomatoes, but I can't recall the brand offhand.

All my comments related to canned tomato, not prepared sauce. Thanks to PF and Steve for the clarification.

Because we have 300+ tomato plants, I don't buy any tomato products. So I guess other is the appropriate response. We can, freeze, dehydrate, make paste, sauce, and salsa. That pretty much gives us all the tomato products we need until the next season rolls around. When tomatoes are a good price during the non-production months, we will buy tomatoes, but those we usually eat in salads or on toast.

I rarely buy tomato sauce, and when I do I usually grab the store brand. Our store's brand of tomato products is good, so unless name brands are on sale I stick to them. :cool: I have never even heard of Redpack.

Haven't bought commercially-produced canned tomatoes and tomato sauce in years. I prepare and can ours from the tomatoes from our garden.
I guess you're in the other category, too. I wouldn't know what to do without all the tomato products we put up each fall!

I use crushed tomatoes in the can instead of sauced tomatoes in a can.

I usually buy Furmano's.

Back
Top Bottom