"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Checking doneness on stuffed items

Lets say you are taking a piece of thin meat, like a chicken breast, putting a stuffing of sorts in it, rolling it up and cooking it. Lets also say you have the breast wrapped up in..... bacon!
How do you physically tell when it's done without disturbing the bacon? So fork testing is not allowed. Can you stick a probe thermometer into the stuffing (shrimp, pepper, whatever it might be) and safely assume the meat is also done if the stuffing reads 160F or higher?

Now, I've made Ol-Blue's foiled chicken and stuffing several times, but it's easy to tell when the probe is in the chicken breast and not just in the stuffing. How so you tell on something rolled and stuffed for presentation?

Old 11-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Basically, every part of the chicken and stuffing has to be at least 160 F. Use a probe thermometer in more than one location to be sure. Usually the stuffing is the farthest from the heat so if that's done, the meat is too.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Basically, every part of the chicken and stuffing has to be at least 160 F. Use a probe thermometer in more than one location to be sure. Usually the stuffing is the farthest from the heat so if that's done, the meat is too.
That's what I've been going by, but this morning I started thinking that maybe different foods heat up, or retain heat differently, and it might be possible for the inside of a stuffed item to be done, but the outside not.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Everymom

Cooking sort of happens from the outside in. So usually the stuff on the outside is more cooked than the center. Thats why you want to find out what the temp is way inside your stuff.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, maybe I am giving this too much thought. It stands to reason that the outside would cook first, but I was thinking steaming action and heat retention properties...

So, on a larger scale
Let's say people are still breaking the food police laws and stuffing their chickens and turkeys.... I'm guessing that you would not want to assume that because the stuffing reads 165 (for instance) that the rest of the bird is also cooked? Or would it be?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I put the thermometer in the deepest part of the thigh, as well as in the stuffing, to make sure it's all done.

(I stuff my turkey, always have and always will!)
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Head Chef

I tired of waiting for a bird to get done because the stuffing takes longer than the flessh of the bird. i now bake all of my stuffing in loaf pans, and not only does it present nicely on the table, but I can bake it with other items in the oven at the same time.

Not sure about the food police, but it just woks better for me, especially when it come to a 20-22# turkey. i also think (IMO) that the white meat is not as dry, since it does not overcook. My DW thinks I'm crazy, but what else is new?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I put the thermometer in the deepest part of the thigh, as well as in the stuffing, to make sure it's all done.
Heh, heh, heh..... almost didn't see that last part That's how Mom always did it.

Just for curiosity, how do the readings compare? When one is done, is the other?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

The only way for heat to get to the center of an item is to travel through the exterior so if the center is done, the rest of the rool is done too.

A whole chicken or turley is a different story. While you can say if the stuffing is done the breast is done, the are between the body and the thigh is a different story as that's extra thick and dark meat, being denser, takes longer to cook.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

I do the same thing. lol I will ALWAYS stuff my turkey. It's the only way to go as far as my family is concerned.

Barb