Chicken Batter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xCJ

Assistant Cook
Friend told me a simple recipe to make chicken batter, but now how to do it. It uses whipped eggs, seasoned flower mix, and breadcrumbs. Do I dip the chicken in the egg then the crumbs then the flower then the crumbs again? Or dip the chicken in the egg then the flour then the crumbs then the flour again. Thanks for any help.

Friend told me a simple recipe to make chicken batter, but now how to do it. It uses whipped eggs, seasoned flower mix, and breadcrumbs. Do I dip the chicken in the egg then the crumbs then the flower then the crumbs again? Or dip the chicken in the egg then the flour then the crumbs then the flour again. Thanks for any help.

Too bad your friend disappeared, but if it was me I would go; flour (flower), egg, then breadcrumbs. Because it's a batter (thicker usually) I would then do the egg and crumbs again. That should give you a nice thick batter on your chicken.

Also, it's a good idea to let the battered chicken rest a little whileto allow the egg/ crumb coating to dry and firm up a little before you put the pieces in a frying pan. Use enough oil to come up about a third of the way of the chix parts. Allow oil to get medium hot. Don't crowd the chicken, cook in batches if necessary and only turn the chicken over once. You can cover or partially cover the chicken after you turn it and then uncover again near the end to allow it to get crispy.

You can also season the flour with S/P, garlic or onion powder, crumbled dry herbs, some people put in chili powder, whatever you like,

Batter for anything is made up of wet and dry ingredients in a bowl. The chicken should be floured and then dipped in the batter, usually for deep frying. I think you are talking about "breading" chicken. The rule for breading is always "dry, wet, dry". In this case flour comes first, then egg, then crumbs. Pac is right, you can do it again without the flour the second time if you want, but it will be breaded chicken, not battered.

Good point, Kay. It should be wet.
Cheg Mahoney had a good batter recipe I made one time with whipped egg.

Love to try different coatings as an alternative to the breadcrumbs
Also i have coated chix with sourcream and then topping which works well.
just add the sour cream heaping spoonful at a time to the chicken in a bowl stir till all is coated good. add more if needed.
Coatings I have tried, Smashed up, sourcream potato chips, cheezits, doritos, barbq chips. I have done cornflake crumbs using the flour /egg cornflakes, then drizzle melted butter oven and bake.

Back
Top Bottom