Do you have a food hero?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief Longwind Of The North said:
I have no celebrity food heroes. Rather, as with all my heroes, they are people who do their best to make other people's lives better. My food heroes are those people who put forth the time and effort to make their food the best way they know how, for their families, for themselves, and for their friends. They need to put thought, and study into improving their culinary knowledge, and be somewhat creative. If they have to make a good meal of mac and cheese, then the mac and cheese has to be the best that they can make it. They need to be industrious. They need to be passionate about not only the food, but about life, especially with their families welfare, nutritionally as well as physically, mentally, and spiritually. In other words, they make the best food they can, for the best reasons.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Very well said Chief.

My Mom is my food hero for those same reasons.

Mom was in charge in the kitchen and in our (the kids) early years she had to stretch the food budget a far as it would go.

Still we never went hungry and there was always a place at the table for guests especially those who might otherwise find themselves alone on holidays.

She made some amazing meals out of the most humble of ingredients.

She taught us not to waste even in times of abundance because someone, somewhere is hungry and without food.

She taught us to cook and to try new things.

The rule at our table was "scouts bites". I don't know the origin of that phrase but it meant that we had to take at least three bites of what was on our plate whether it appealed to us or not.

When we four kids clamored for different things for a dinner she told us "I am not a short order cook. This is what's for dinner take it or leave it".

Yep, Mom's my food hero and I'm so blessed that we still cook together.

I doubt if my son The Pirate could say his new bride was his hero in the kitchen. Her parents brought her and her siblings here from Naples. Her mother is the most fantastic Italian cook you could ever want to know. But she refused to allow her five girls into her kitchen. As a result, none of them ever learned to cook until it was necessary. My DIL would cook for my son, he would take a few bites to make her happy and then run upstairs to see what his MIL had on the stove. Her father still to this day makes all of the family sausages for the year. They hang down in the basement aging. My DIL finally came to senses and obtained a divorce. But they do remain friends. At Easter, the mother always sends me an Easter Pie. Her health is now failing and she doesn't cook as much. Her husband does most of it. He told her, "For all these years you have been a good wife making me the best meals. Now it is my turn to take care of you." All her kids have started to cry about how much they miss her meals. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom