"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I loved it too, Janet!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #62
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Pleading the 5th on this....

Many years ago I wrote a song about this topic.

Attachment 24641

Fantastic!

You deserve a spot on "The Prairie Home Companion" at the old Fitzgerald Theater!!!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #63
Assistant Cook

I know just what you mean. The fridge fills up quick with jars of stuff barely used. I try to clean out the fridge once a month to keep everything new. It seems to work for me. Even though its not my favorite job :)
Old 08-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #64
Assistant Cook

Something to note, Only two things have actual expiration dates. Baby Food and Medicine. Everything else is best by, use by, sell by.

Best by is where the manf has figured the peak flavor to start falling off.
Use by, they just want you to replace it then, has no more meaning than Best By.
Sell by is for the grocery store, etc. If its not sold by then, they need to take it off shelves as it starts to go bad within a week of the sell by for milk and such.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #65
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Hah! Only 5 years, that's nothing. When I cleaned out my step-mom's fridge , freezer and pantry when I stayed with my dad after her accident, I found 10, 11, and even one 12 year expired things. Guess it's a good thing she never cooked much (and daddy didn't cook at all) cause who knows what might have happened to them if they had eaten some of that stuff. And I wasn't being nosy, knew I was going to be there for a long while and was trying to use what she had to make meals for me and my dad.

Since I know some of the rest of you have parents getting on up there, might be worth offering to clean out their fridge/pantry when you are visitng. I NEVER dreamed my step-mom would have not cleaned her pantry and fridge out from time to time. She kept an immaculate house and kept the fridge clean, just never bothered to check the expiration dates for some reason.
We found some old jarred syrup in my grandmothers pantry one year.... well quasisyrup, quasiglass...
Old 08-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #66
Senior Cook

Hubby pointed out that the Red Lobster biscuit mix was 4 years expired. Oops.

And I think my ketchup has turned into ketchup wine. I never use that stuff unless my "picky" eaters come over and want hot dogs and hamburger (which I rarely make on my own volition).

I really need to do a cleanse too. Keeps me sane.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #67
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Lee View Post
Hubby pointed out that the Red Lobster biscuit mix was 4 years expired. Oops.

And I think my ketchup has turned into ketchup wine. I never use that stuff unless my "picky" eaters come over and want hot dogs and hamburger (which I rarely make on my own volition).

I really need to do a cleanse too. Keeps me sane.
That dry mix woulda been just fine I bet.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
That dry mix woulda been just fine I bet.
Not if there was baking powder or soda in it. When they expire, baked goods don't rise.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #69
Head Chef

I've kept ketchup/mustard and relish up at the cottage, year after year and never in the fridge. Relish would get used up for some reason but mustard/ketchup would last 3 years or more. Was fine! All of these sort of products are preserved with vinegars, sugars - they are not going to go bad easily.

Powdered stuff like Bisquick would get mealy worms or moths or whatever they're called.

My son once looked at the date on a box of KD at the cottage one year and said, and I quote... "MOM!!" lol the foil pack of cheese was rock solid - but the pasta was fine... (think it was 4/5 years old - common! it was at the back of the cupboard!)

I have individual packs of yogurt in my fridge that are several months old past due. Had one yesterday... it's was fine!

Packaged foods now-a-days are so processed, they usually only go bad if you use dirty utensils in and cross contaminate. Not even mayonnaise goes bad anymore (***please note.. other than homemade ones with egg***) They are so processed, pasteurized, homogenized... they ain't gonna go bad sitting out a bit. I put most things with mayo on ice only because I like them chilled not out of fear of bacterial growth.

Like was said earlier, common sense, common sense, common sense.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #70
Sous Chef

Well other food laws here so a yogurt out of date with month would have curdled or fermented. Yogurt doesn't last long since we are not allowed to add preservatives to it.
Swedish food laws are good but strict and we have coherent system of use by day date and sell by date.But even we have our share of food problem.
I found a sausage in my fridge today, yeah from my birthday in May, it had fallen down behind the potato box and mummified.

Honey, Sugar and salt never goes bad.