"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Eye of Round. How do you cook it?

Hey everybody! One of my local supermarkets always has whole eye of round roasts on sale, so I always have lots in my freezer. One characteristic it has is that it is so lean that no matter what I do with it, it is still fairly dry. I usually cook it bourguignone, stew, slice it thinly for fajitas. How do you cook it? I would like to hear how you deal with its dryness and toughness.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I braise it until a twist of a fork shreds it. Last time I added Liquid Smoke and 3/4 C sherry to the liquid. Yummy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

i don't care for this cut at all. There are better cuts of beef for any use you may make of the eye round. Chuck braises better, loin/sirloin roasts better, etc.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Master Chef

To make it less dry, you can poke slits into it with a sharp and pointy knife. Into these slits, add lardoons of either side pork (with the rhine taken off) or bacon.

A trick I've done is to cut a quarter inch into the roast, and then slide knife sideways, always cutting toward the center, turning the round roast into a flat slab of meat, a quarter inch thick. Then, spread your favorite dressing or coating on the meat, be it duxcells, or bread stuffing, or peppers and cheese, whatever you want. Jelly roll the filling inside the roast and tie it in shape with clean, cotton string, or butcher's twine. Cook to you favorite degree of doneness. I like mine medium rare for this application.

Another great application is to chop the steak into tiny bits with a sharp knife. Season with salt, and maybe pepper. Add a raw egg and shape into patties. Fry until done through.

Again, you can chop the round and add a bit of cornstarch in stead of the egg. Shape into patties and cook medium rare. Serve on a great bun.

Grind and make into sloppy joes.

Slice very thin and place a little ground beef between the slices. Place the meat (sandwiches) between sheets of plastic wrap and press thin to make sizzle-steaks.

Slice very thin and braise until tender. Make a gravy out the juices, with the meat immersed. Add your wine and seasonings, and thicken with a roux, or a cornstarch slurry. Use for hot open faced beef sandwiches, or over rice, or smashed spuds.

Hope the ideas help.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
i don't care for this cut at all. There are better cuts of beef for any use you may make of the eye round. Chuck braises better, loin/sirloin roasts better, etc.
Of course, Andy. But, it goes on at a very good bargain and I love bargains. 1.99 a lb. is about as cheap as you are going to get beef in these parts. Plus, my family likes leaner meats so I am going to use it. That is why I am tapping into the infinite wisdom that is called Discuss Cooking.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
To make it less dry,
Hope the ideas help.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Thanks G! Food for thought!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I braise it until a twist of a fork shreds it. Last time I added Liquid Smoke and 3/4 C sherry to the liquid. Yummy.
Thanks, Z. I haven't used Sherry at home for a while. Gonna pick up a bottle on my way home from work tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I can't think of much better than making it a fajita or maybe it can be made of a bacon?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
Master Chef

If you have a crock pot, that's a great way to cook it. Otherwise, low, moist and slow in the oven or Dutch Oven. It's good for soup or stew.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Hey everybody! One of my local supermarkets always has whole eye of round roasts on sale, so I always have lots in my freezer. One characteristic it has is that it is so lean that no matter what I do with it, it is still fairly dry. I usually cook it bourguignone, stew, slice it thinly for fajitas. How do you cook it? I would like to hear how you deal with its dryness and toughness.

Thanks for posting about one of my favorites.
I cook eye-round roasts every 3 months or so. I only cook top round or eye round roasts. Yes, they don't have a lot of fat inside. I cook them at 325F. I just salt and pepper it and use a simple vinegar and oil basting beforehand. I found the cooking time for this type roast is key. The way it cooks is from the outside in (duh), so you want a roast that, when sliced, will have a fairly good circle of rareness emanating out from the center. I suggest going less then the recommended time for medium rare, especially for smaller rib eye or top round roasts.

For newly cooked roasts of this type, I usually have a traditional roast beef dinner. The next day, I use my ancient Krupps foldable meat slicer and shave the roast into thin slices for one of my favorite meals, Au Jus dip, beef slices piled onto warmed french rolls, coleslaw and french fries. One of my faves.

Once thinly sliced, I semi freeze the rest and vacuum seal them in Reynolds EZ Vac bags and freezer them for future au jus dinners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinner.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	9902  

Tags
cook