"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I like to try different chip truck's poutines and seeing what I like from them and to add it to my own, so far i've noted I like medium sized fries rather then large or small. I like semi-spicy gravy (like a pepper taste, not hot sauce spicy) and a lot of it. Also, curds. I know some people use cuped cheese, but it definitely isn't the same

Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I just picked up some cheese curds yesterday for some poutine. The town store started carrying the cryovac ones again. They are "zesty" and look to be pretty heavily seasoned.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Gjetost-lingonberry gravy, french fries, white cheddar curds, and grated gjetost on top, with some dried lingonberries...why haven't the Norwegians introduced this--0h--I still have gravy left, just need more potatoes...and, I need to plug in my camera to charge its ability to take pics...So frigging good (if you are s/one who likes poutine or, more accurately, if you like gjetost and lignonberries).
Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm sorry i think a poutine is over kill. sounds disgusting to me. cheese and fries, yes. fries and gravy , yes. all to gather is just not right.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

TE=babetoo;1021236]i'm sorry i think a poutine is over kill. sounds disgusting to me. cheese and fries, yes. fries and gravy , yes. all to gather is just not right.[/QUOTE]Fine--you don't like the idea. You don't have to be negative about it, just don't respond to the post. I personally would never cook kidneys (cooked them once, that was enough for me. I didn't respond to the request for help on cooking kidneys). Obviously, you have not had poutine. Yes, it sounds disgusting--and unhealthy (which it is), but it is very good. If you eat pasta with sauce and cheese, well, french fries with sauce and cheese is not that much of a stretch. I contend that poutine is part of the four basic food groups. Not your cup of tea, fine. Your opinion you could've kept to yourself. But for those who like poutine, this is a variation that is very tasty. (Correction--heavenly if you like gjetost and lingonberries and make gjetost-lingonberry gravy when you make roast beef/reindeer/venison).
Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

wow!!! i am entitled to my opinion. you are over reacting i think.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Not to brag, but I think I've perfected how to keep the fries crispy. I am using really delish potatoes (from the garden), but here's what I do:

1. Scrub the potatoes (I like to leave the skins on since I know the quality of our soil).
2. Slice.
3. Hold in ice water for about 20-30 minutes, drain, pat dry.
4. Mix 1/4 c (or less) of corn starch in a bowl and add paprika, garlic powder, ground pepper.
5. Toss the drained potatoes in the corn starch mixture.
6. In a deep-fat fryer that is 160 degrees (I use veggie oil and a couple of T of crisco), fry potatoes for 7-8 minutes. Drain.
7. Bring the temp of the fat up to 180 degrees. Fry the potatoes for about 7-8 minutes or until crisp.
8. Put some cheese curds and gravy in the bottom of a dish, add about 1/2 of the potatoes, another layer of cheese curds and gravy, more potatoes and more curds and gravy.

I've done this several times this summer--the potatoes stay crisp to the bottom.

I'm ready to do a poutine throw-down.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I have never tried it but it's on my food bucket list. It's french Canadian? Or French? Or both.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Poutine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
Cook

Thanks CWS, for a timely idea. My next big cook-up will be with The Kid at Thanksgiving, and I've been giving some thought about what to do with the leftovers. I'd thought of poutine as a way to use up some of the turkey gravy, but getting curds is always an issue. There are plenty of sources on Amazon, but the shipping usually costs more than the curds, and God knows how long they have been sitting in those plastic bags! I think that I'll do a trial run with the blue cheese, which i know that The Kid and the rest of the family like, and see how it goes.