"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #91
Executive Chef

Uni and giffelte fish. I've tried both and have promised never to put myself through that again!. Other than that, I cannot say I'd never eat something if I haven't tried it, once. There are things I'm not a big fan of, but that doesn't mean I'd never eat them again....but the uni and the giffelte fish, no way, no how, not for money, honey.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #92
Head Chef

Odd, I started off thinking there wasn't much I wouldn't eat. But as I've been reading all these posts, I've repeated "no, I wouldn't eat that either" quite a lot. I'm not quite the omnivore I thought I was.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #93
Executive Chef

Kidneys. BLECH...
Sweetbreads. Double Blech.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #94
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Uni and giffelte fish. I've tried both and have promised never to put myself through that again!. Other than that, I cannot say I'd never eat something if I haven't tried it, once. There are things I'm not a big fan of, but that doesn't mean I'd never eat them again....but the uni and the giffelte fish, no way, no how, not for money, honey.
Vera, you've never had MY Gefilte Fish (that's how it's spelled) or you wouldn't say that! I learned from my Grammy who made absolutely ethereal Gefilte Fish twice a year, for Rosh Hashanah and Passover.

What won't I eat??? Well first off, I'm game to try most anything once. and there's not much I dislike enough not to eat again, but there are a few... Lutefisk, Haggis, (tho I've been told that what I had was NOT "the good stuff," so I might have to try some when I'm in Scotland next year), Chittlins, Andouillette sausages, Halvah, Cottage Cheese, Pepperoni sausage, Tofu, Raisins,

i'm pretty fussy about where the animal protein I eat comes from, so I'm not afraid of raw seafood, if it's pristinely fresh. I love offal, but a few experiences with badly prepared brains has made me shy away from them. I could be induced to try them again... The one thing I've never tried that I don't think I ever could is that cheese from Sardinia that has maggots in it. live maggots. crawling around inside the cheese maggots.... don't think I could get that down...
Old 11-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #95
Sous Chef

I'm usually game for anything at least once.

There are some things I think I'm abnormally sensitive too. For instance, I love the flavor of cilantro, but whole raw leaves completely overpower my mouth. When I make mango salsa with cilantro, I put a couple whole sprigs in that I've bruised with my knife - let it rest a couple hours - and then I take them out before serving. When the cilantro is minced and cooked in a soup, it's power is diffused, and it's fine (for me). I had "cilantro pesto" at a fusion restaurant once and I couldn't eat more than a couple bites. I tasted cilantro for about 6 hours after we left.

Same with any preserved fish. I love the flavor anchovies lend when blended into dressings or sauces, but whole anchovies or preserved mackeral completely overwhelm my palate. Canned Tuna - especially things like "Tuna Casserole" almost bring me to the point of gagging.

There are a lot of cheeses that have the same effect. I love the flavor of cheddar when it's baked into biscuits or just a bit on some apple crisp, but big honkin slices of it just don't jive with me. Bleu Cheese is another one. A little bit whisked into a sauce or crumbled on a dish is fine, but hunks or wedges just wipe out my tastebuds much too easy.

Any wine or beer with a strong bitter aftertaste. I like beverages that finish clean or with a slight sweetness. This also goes for improperly made (in my opinion at least) coffee and tea. I'm also not a fan of young red wines (for drinkning). I almost exclusively drink Rieslings and Pilsner Brews (my wine rack right now has about 20 Rieslings out of the 30 or so bottles I usually keep, and the beer in my fridge is all Miller). Grapefruit juice. Thats the type of flavor finish that drives me nuts. I feel like I need to drink even more every time I take a sip - and not because I want to - I just want to clean that nastiness off the back of my tongue! It starts great - the fruity flavors, the tartness, the sweetness... and then it devolves into this evil petroleum-pesticide film on the back of my tongue.

Oh - and if it came down to it and I was up in the Andes with no food, I'd say "Bring on the meat!"... I'd come down into some Chilean valley with a leg slung over my shoulder having gained 10lbs...
Old 11-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #96
Master Chef

With me its fish. When my son David was young, he put some fish he caught in the down stairs refrigerator in the freezer compartment. About a week later I found out that refrigerator was not working. I opened the freezer door and just about passed out from the smell. I never gagged so much in my life when I had to clean it out. It had almost liquefied. Still after all of these years I can't stand the smell of fish. I know it's suppose to be good for you to eat, but I just can't do it.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #97
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni
Never say never but the thought of froglegs gives me a bad feeling all over.
I'll try just about anything once, but the one time I tried frog legs I swore I'd never eat them again. They were just plain foul.

I love escargot, oysters, caviar, venison, rattlesnake, gator and just about anything else. If I haven't had it, I'll usually try it, though I reserve the right to refuse chitlins, brains and souse. I have refused nato before also, and would still refuse it today.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #98
Sous Chef

I don't think I've ever had frog legs, but I did have grilled 'gator down in Lousiana once. I'd definetly have it again if I went back.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #99
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Gator! had it only once, so far, at Black;s in Abbeville!

wonder what was so foul about the frog legs? I like them a lot. We used to go to Hammond to Phil Smidt's for Frog Legs when I was growing up. Fried, they're just like drumsticks (of chicken) unless, of course, they were old, or not prepared well. They have a very mild flavor, not unlike chicken! texturewise, too...
Old 11-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #100
Head Chef

They tasted like pond scum. They had a gamey, slimey taste to them that was just plain disgusting. I didn't even finish them.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote