"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I am not sure it was ever definitively said that the bar sponsored the tournament. That is just an assumption based on a name.
It really doesn't matter if there is sponsorship anyway. A sponsor is not required to hand out anything more than their original sponsorship donation.

Its still cheesy though. I think I'd approach it differently than bigdaddy if I were sufficiently irritated. I think I'd find the owner/manager of the bar (hoping it isn't the doofus that refused you) and explain the situation. Explain as well that your league will consider...moving elsewhere, shunning their establishment...etc etc.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #22
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I think I'd approach it differently than bigdaddy
Thats a good thing. I'm not known for my restraint.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #23
Everymom

LOL. Together we would move mountains buddy. Good cop/bad cop.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
Mr. Greenjeans

Um, where do you want me to put this mountain M'am?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #25
Everymom

If you are talking about the one I just moved today then you better leave it RIGHT THERE. ;)
Old 10-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
If you are talking about the one I just moved today then you better leave it RIGHT THERE. ;)

You broadly made me smile this morning... Thank-you sun-shine!

You are a nice person....

Bob
Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
i guess my annoyance is that in general, most places will supply water without question....it is not required, and may even cost them a tiny amount, but it is a courtesy that most establishments will extend.....i consider this to be even more true if you are buying something during the same visit (the drinks we bought)....since, at least in my experience, it is more normal to give out water than not, that means that this place went against the grain to deny me.....and this is before we even consider the fact that the water they are unwilling to give out is being freely distributed in high volume to wash sand off people's feet...

it is sort of like if you drop your stuff while walking down the street....no one is required to help, and technically they are not in the wrong if they ignore you, but for the little bit of effort (or $) it costs, it creates alot of goodwill and is just the nice thing to do....it will not ruin their day to help, and i dont think that some water will cause the bar to collapse (even if alot of people started asking)

so i realize that i do not have any right to be annoyed with them, but i dont think im crazy for feeling that way

just for the record, im not some nutball who is all bent out of shape about this....it happened and i stopped caring minutes later, but i just wanted to get people's opinion on it...so its really more for the sake of a discussion, which im enjoying
I think you have purposely taken things out of context.

If you are buying a meal, water is there for the asking.

If you are dehydrated to the point you are mumbling, anyone would provide water without cost. That is part of the human condition.

If you skate up to a vendor on your roller skates on the boardwalk, don't expect them to provide anything without cost. My experience is they will charge for the cup, and the ice.

Bob
Old 10-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #28
Senior Cook

not quite sure how i am purposely taking things out of context

and none of the three examples you provided were the case (though buying a drink is not drastically different that buying a meal...especially at $5 a beer)....but i think we all agree that they are not required to give out free water, and that some feel it would have been the right thing to do....
Old 10-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
not quite sure how i am purposely taking things out of context

and none of the three examples you provided were the case (though buying a drink is not drastically different that buying a meal...especially at $5 a beer)....but i think we all agree that they are not required to give out free water, and that some feel it would have been the right thing to do....
Hello TheNoodleIncident.

I hope you have a nice day, and yes, I agree with you. If you are paying anything for something, the vendor should be nice enough to provide water upon request.

I should spend more time before replying.

Bob
Old 10-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Hello TheNoodleIncident.

I hope you have a nice day, and yes, I agree with you. If you are paying anything for something, the vendor should be nice enough to provide water upon request.

I should spend more time before replying.

Bob
no worries - i was just a little confused by the response

anyway, this whole thing made for some fun conversation, if nothing else...helps make the workday go by faster

have a good one

mike