"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Just thought I'd mention that I've been buying shelf stable whipping cream in half pint boxes from Trader Joes. It sure is nice to have on hand in the pantry.
Thanks Kayelle.

It's on the list!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Frank, I had earned $6 babysitting. I went to Joe Pushcart's store and bought a pint box of wild blueberries. Then I trotted over to the grocery store and bought me a pint of heavy cream. I washed the berries, had the cream on ice and poured it over my berries. Then I pigged out. A pint box is a lot of blueberries. But they were so good. Until I lost the whole thing. The cream was too rich for my stomach. And I would do it again today. I can still feel those berries letting their juice explode into my mouth.

My grandparent's neigbors had a mulberry tree. The rule from the neighbors was "don't make any noise and get as many berries as you can because they make a mess on the ground". We would go pick a huge bowl of berries, rinse, pour some heavy cream on em... smoosh em up good. (maybe sprinkle a little sugar on) and eat.

You don't need as much cream as berries.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
Master Chef

That sounds so good, Frank.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
That sounds so good, Frank.

Not gonna lie.. yes.. it was.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I freeze buttermilk with out any problems.
I always end up with heavy cream left over and the have to try to figure out what to use it in to use it up.
Has anyone froze it and does it work or break down.
Your thoughts
Thank you
In my experience with double cream which seems to be our equivalent, you are advised to whip it before freezing. If you thaw it and then stir it I've found it "breaks" and goes back to liquid and won't whip.

If you whip it and use it as filling or topping for a cake before freezing the cake it seems to be fairly stable.

You could always add some sort of soft fruit (berries such as raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc) and sugar to taste and make ice cream with it. Just mash up the fruit, add sugar (I use icing sugar - powdered sugar?), whip the cream to soft peaks and fold in the fruit and sugar and freeze.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have even made whipped cream, scooshed it out of a pastry bag into small pretty "blobs", and then frozen them on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. They have to be handled very carefully when you put them into a container. If you are going to use them within a few days, you can just leave them on the baking tray, if you have the space in your freezer.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Just thought I'd mention that I've been buying shelf stable whipping cream in half pint boxes from Trader Joes. It sure is nice to have on hand in the pantry.
I finally got around to trying Trader Joes shelf stable whipping cream!

I bought a couple boxes of the shelf stable cream a month or so ago and today I was able to get my first quart of locally grown strawberries so I decided to see how it whipped. I was a little discouraged when I opened the container and found that the cold cream was similar in consistency to sour cream, I thought it might be spoiled. I gave it a taste and it seemed fine so I whipped it with a teaspoon of vanilla and two tablespoons of Splenda. I was very impressed with the results and the fresh creamy taste, this is definitely a keeper!

Thanks for the tip Kayelle!
Old 06-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Washington State, I lived in a little town just outside Tacoma. Working with the 4-H kids, I had developed a taste for whipping cream. There was a farm about 20 minutes where I lived. I would put Poo in his stroller and walk down there and back. Poo loved it there with all the animals. And I would love it there because I could buy a whole pint of raw whipping cream. It is so thick and rich right from the cow. I fell in love with it.

I don't buy it today because if I did, I would drink the whole thing down in one sitting. And then I would get sick again.

Tags
cream, heavy cream