Frying tomatoes, Help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casual Cook

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I have never been into fried foods, but I have started to like fried tomatoes. I have tried to fry them several times and the result was a soggy saute.

I just have a few questions...

-Is there a secret way to dredge them in flour?
- How deep should the oil be in relation to the tomatoes?
-What kind of oil works best and how hot should it be?

Thanks in advance, I need all the advise I can get.

Last edited:
Are you trying to make them like they serve in restaurants? Those are usually deep fried in lots of oil.

I love fried red tomatoes. Slice then somewhat thick, dip in buttermilk, then in seasoned flour (whatever you like...salt pepper, oregano or basil) . I fry in a mix of extra virgin olive oil and butter, flip once. (oil in pan is not deep but certainly covers bottom of pan well.) They are hot through, somewhat softened, slightly browned and oh so good!

Halve tomatoes, dust with sugar and fry cut-side down until caramalized. Flip back up and reducing heat to medium, let the bottoms soften until done.

Depending on what else is in the pan, I would use a scant 3 tablespoons of olive oil. I don't measure it, I guage the amount. If flying with fatty bacon - less oil.

Beef tomatoes are just great. But they need longer time, to cook.

I slice mine thick, coat them in seasoned flour, then egg, then seasoned bread crumbs. Fry them in a cast iron skillet with olive oil, enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Yum!

Back
Top Bottom