Here are the steps for making hash browns:
- Wash 4 large potatoes thoroughly, cut off any bruises or unusual spots.
- Pierce each with a fork a few times for ventilation, then place potatoes in the oven for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and cut each into thirds, refrigerate for 3 mins. to cool. Slice one medium sized onion (optional).
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, chop them up into bite sized pieces.
- Heat vegetable oil or butter in a skillet (about 1/2 inch high) on medium-high heat and add potatoes once oil is good and hot. Once potatoes start to brown, add onions (optional). When potatoes are golden brown, remove all ingredients from skillet by draining on paper towel-lined plate.
- Immediately season to taste with salt & pepper.
Add some dried herbs when seasoning - basil and oregano are always tasty additions!
You can grate the potatoes instead of slicing them for a different texture.
potatoes don't get the kick? A tried and true selection is to add shredded cheese or tear up sandwich ham into pieces and throw that in there.
Be sure potatoes are cooled before fully slicing them. Steam burns can hurt a lot!
Watch out for grease fires -- slide a lid over the pan to smother them or use baking soda. Don't use water to put them out!