"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #31
Certified Cake Maniac

There are some really great ideas here.

Awhile back in the thread breakfast burritos were mentioned I think, but not elaborated on. We did this when I was apprenticing at a catering company and I expanded on it when cooking at the camp for staff brunch (170+) on Sundays. It is super easy and you can prep ahead if that helps.

Allow 1/2 egg per burrito and beat them as for scrambled eggs. Add finely chopped onion, grated cheese (old cheddar or tex mex are good), salt, pepper, a drop or two of hot sauce per egg (not too much, just to up the flavour not burn), red and/or green bell pepper finely chopped if desired, and some ground beef, ham, or other cooked meat if desired (don't let meat over take egg). mix up and put in rectangular cake pans or restaurant inserts, to a depth of about 1/2 inch. Bake at 350 for about 20 - 30 minutes or until set but not dry. Remove to cooling racks until egg is at least workable with hands (or cool completely, cut and refrigerate in the pans up to overnight). cut into approximately 3" long by 1 - 1 1/2" wide pieces. Place 1 tbsp of desired salsa in the centre each 6" tortilla, cover salsa with egg piece and top that with 1 tbsp each of salsa and cheese. Roll up and place tightly together in pans. Cover with more salsa and bake at 350 until hot and bubbly (20 - 30 minutes). They heat faster if egg, salsa and cheese are at room temperature when assembling.

There are a lot of good ideas here for you. Let us know how it goes!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

lots of good ideas for you. i made two sausage casseroles with my own recipe for christmas brunch. always always gobbled up in a hurry.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

While I was initially excited about doing crepes, and I am going to practice tomorow evening, I may do just a breakfast casserole and monkey bread. If my team is smaller than I initially want, I can prepare it all in advance on Saturday morning, and store it in the refrigerators.

So, for my entrance as lead cook, I will have a breakfast casserole which a base of smashed biscuit dough, covered with a topping of sausage and egg, and covered with cheese. For the other item, we'll have monkey bread.

How does that sound?

What could I add to that as a "nice touch?"
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4qhk View Post
While I was initially excited about doing crepes, and I am going to practice tomorow evening, I may do just a breakfast casserole and monkey bread. If my team is smaller than I initially want, I can prepare it all in advance on Saturday morning, and store it in the refrigerators.

So, for my entrance as lead cook, I will have a breakfast casserole which a base of smashed biscuit dough, covered with a topping of sausage and egg, and covered with cheese. For the other item, we'll have monkey bread.

How does that sound?

Sounds great! Are you talking about a garnish? sliced oranges make a bright touch, mint leaves...
Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

How does that sound?

How about fruit kabobs with a yogurt dip. Or chocolate dipped strawberries. Strawberries are in season now, affordable & delcious.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #36
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

You could do some stratas... this is my favorite breakfast for a crowd. A strata is s baked egg casserole and you can add all kinds of fun ingrediants. Seasonal veggies, sausages, cheese... they hold well and are do ahead. Plate it with a scone and some fruit - heavenly.

You could also do an oatmeal bar which is especially fun for kids. Serve oatmeal in an icecream dish and then have a toppings bar - like an icecream sunday bar.

Eggs Benedict is good for a crowd.

I love the idea of strawberry shortcake and am stealing it at the very next opportunity.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I could get some strawberries and dip those in chocolate..for a side dish. I need to see the prices on strawberries. I'd probably get 25 strawberries, and then slice those up, so, we can have 50 chocolate dipped strawberries.

I think this is going to come together nicely.

Now, I just need some entertainment for us to do.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I could get some strawberries and dip those in chocolate..for a side dish. I need to see the prices on strawberries. I'd probably get 25 strawberries, and then slice those up, so, we can have 50 chocolate dipped strawberries.

I think this is going to come together nicely.

Now, I just need some entertainment for us to do.
BINGO is always a good idea. Make your own cards instead of the word Bingo use the word JESUS.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

The Bingo idea won't work, namely because of time. We have 45 minutes, and we are trying to build relationships here..but, 1-3 three minute icebreakers would do the trick just nicely.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #40
Cook

With this many people I would absolutely avoid crepes or anything that requires personal attention to assembling during service. That is a MAJOR bottleneck situation waiting to become a disaster... messy, cold, slow... etc.

I would stick some of the suggestions already put forth such as that baked cinnamon bread, the strata sounds nice and soe does a fritata, which you could make a few varieties.

I also like the idea of quiche because all your ingredients can be prepped ahead of time and all you have to do is assemble them in the morning and let the oven do the rest while you create a nice fruit dish or green/fruit salad combo and some rolls/biscuits/scones. You can have 2 or 3 different varieties of quiche as well. Traditional Lorraine, spinach and bacon, and maybe a vegetarian version of tomato, peppers and olives perhaps.

Hope all goes great for you.

Tags
breakfast