"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Cook

How do you cook swiss chard?

I'm loving my co-op basket, because I am getting veggies I've never cooked before. The artichokes I had were a success. Now I've got swiss chard. I assume you can cook it like spinach, but was wondering if there are any TNT recipes you can share with me.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Steam, chop, reserve steaming water, saute onions in butter, add flour and steaming water to make white sauce, add chopped chard.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

If the Swiss Chard is early season, it makes a great substitute for basil in pesto (not the big leaves, but the smaller ones). I do add a bit of basil, but I love Swiss chard pesto. I usually use pecans (I am allergic to pine nuts). Otherwise, whatever you can do with spinach, you can do with Swiss Chard, IMO. Swiss Chard is a "self-seeder" in our gardens, so we always have it available, even as late as December-January in SE Ontario, Canada.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Executive Chef

the stalks are very edible, but cook longer than the leaves. I chop the stalks on a bias and saute in garlic and olive oil, and add the leaves near the end. They need a short saute. garlic shallots olive oil chili flake salt and pepper. Great with meats and poultry, some fish.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
the stalks are very edible, but cook longer than the leaves. I chop the stalks on a bias and saute in garlic and olive oil, and add the leaves near the end. They need a short saute. garlic shallots olive oil chili flake salt and pepper. Great with meats and poultry, some fish.
Exactly. Great,also mixed in with some pasta and good cheese
Old 05-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I've deep-fried the stalks as if they were zucchini. Very nice.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Master Chef

Swiss Chard (particularly the multi-colored "Bright Lights" or
"Rainbow Chard") has to be one of my very favorite vegetables, & one that I use VERY frequently, especially now that it's in season. It's also considered one of the "power house" vegetables with regards to vitamins & minerals - good & good for you. Here's one of our very favorite ways to enjoy it as a side to basic seafood & poultry mains; & it also makes a nice omelet filling:

Breezy Sauteed Swiss Chard

1 bunch of Swiss Chard ( multicolored like “Rainbow” or “Bright Lights” is my preference, but ANY variety of chard is just as good & good for you!!)
Water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-4 garlic cloves (depending on how much you like garlic)
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Grated Parmesan Cheese to taste
Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs to taste

Fill a pot large enough to hold the chard with water & bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, separate the chard leaves from the stems. Trim the stem ends & cut the stems into 1"-2" pieces depending on stem thickness. Roughly chop/slice up the leaves, keeping them separate from the stem pieces. When the water reaches a boil, add the stems & cook for around 5 minutes. Then add the leaves to the pot as well & continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes depending on leaf size & thickness. Drain in a colander.
Heat a dollop (about a tablespoon or two) of extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet. Smash the peeled garlic cloves with the side of a large knife, sprinkle them with salt & chop (the salt will not only season, but will keep the garlic from flying around your cutting board as you chop it). Add the drained chard, minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes to taste & stir until heated thru. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan & Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs, stir again, & serve.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 AM   #8
Executive Chef

My wife uses chard to make Burek.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
Head Chef

I posted this one here ages ago, it's still one of my favorites though:

Swiss Chard w/ Hazlenuts and Raisins (TNT)

3 T raisins
1-lb Swiss chard, washed well
2 T EBOO
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T toasted hazelnuts, chopped
S & P

Place raisin in small pan with water to cover. When the water begins to boil, take the pan off the heat and let the raisins sit for at least 5 minutes.

While the raisins are soaking, cut each Swiss Chard leaf away from the stem and central rib. Cut the leaves into 1/4-inch crosswise slices. Dice the stems and central ribs.

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chard and the garlic, and saute, stirring frequently, for 6 - 8 minutes or until the chard is tener. Drain the raisins and toss them and the hazlenuts inthe the chard. Season with salt and pepper, serve.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #10
Senior Cook

when I made roast duck last time, I chopped the chard into thin strips and cooked lightly in duck fat. then serve with vinegar

Tags
cook