How to cook steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mischief Managed

Assistant Cook
We probably have 100lbs of stored antelope and elk steaks/fillets (backstraps?) stored in our deep freezer. DH hunts, and I only cook the hamburger stuff in casseroles and meatloafs because that is all I know how to cook with. I also know how to cook it in slow cookers, but I want to cook it a different way!
We don't have a grill so I can't grill our steaks.

Can someone tell me some delish (and maybe fast) recipes that I can use to cook steak? The steaks never turn out well when I do them over the stove in a pan, what could I be doing wrong?

TIA:chef:

If you are "doing it wrong", I bet it is a much more simple fix than you may imagine. high heat, a good sear, and finish in the oven if necessary. Antelope/Elk are typically really lean, so I wouldn't go over medium with them.

A quick guide to feeling your way through temps:

Science of Meat: Finger Test for Doneness | Exploratorium

And let them rest! Don't just serve and cut into em, let them rest!

As for seasoning, with a nice game cut, decent salt, fresh cracked pepper, and when finishing in the pan, add a pat of butter, chopped garlic, and fresh thyme/rosemary and simple spoon baste the steak in the rendered juice and butter/herb mix. Feeling "fancy", deglaze with brandy or red wine, or even some nice bourbon, then do the butter baste.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me some delish (and maybe fast) recipes that I can use to cook steak? The steaks never turn out well when I do them over the stove in a pan, what could I be doing wrong?

The forum had a recent discussion on pan cooking (or broiling) steaks that would provide a wealth of information for you. You should read it:

What's the best method to cook a steak indoors?

With 100 pounds of steaks I suspect you're going to get awfully tired of steak before that's all cooked, so maybe you should consider cutting some of them up into cubes and making stew.

Back
Top Bottom