"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Cook

How to use fresh corn tortillas?

I sometimes make buritos by using flour totillas, which are pretty flexible to be rolled. I just bought freshly made corn totillas and tried to make buritos. The corn totillas are not really workable; they break into pieces. I am not sure how to use them, really, but I just assumed i could use them the same way as the flour ones to make buritos.

Please educate me about corn totillas. How do I use them? They are so small (5" round) that it's impossible to roll them up. If they are not for rolling up, what are they for? How to eat them? What to eat them with? etc etc Thanks

Old 07-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Head Chef

I use them when i make cheese enchiladas.
Dip them in hot oil quickly, this makes them pliable without breaking
Then i toss some montery jack on the tortilla, roll it up, and line them up in a baking dish ( which already has a layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom.

I fill the dish with rolled enchiladas, then dump more sauce on top.

Sprinkle some montery jack / cheddar mix on top an bake. Let cool a little and eat.

also, if u fry the corn tortilla long enough in oil, it will turn into a giant corn chip, which u can also place beans, meat, cheese .... and bake on top too.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I've never known anyone to use a corn tortilla to make a burrito. You're the first, however corn tortillas, as I recall, are used for dishes such as enchilladas, tostadas and taquitos. They can be rolled when humid and warmed, as in microwaved between layers of a damp dish towel. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Cook

Oh, My!!!! See, nobody has done that before, because nobody is as dumb as I am. that's why i still cannot cook... I never follow any recipe completely and try combine different things together. My brain, for some reason, rebels all the good things and traditions, despite the fact that I have never been successful on trying things out....

Thank you for educating me...... at least now I know how to use them
Old 07-31-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Hi Chueh, You ever go to Youtube?

Youtube will have some video's on how to roll up small tortilla's.

Also next time try to only put a bit of filling inside the tortilla shell and you will see a big difference!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Cook

Oh, yeah! Will do
Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

for tacos, i quickly fry in hot oil. and i do mean quickly on one side, over and other side. they will fold nicely. probably could roll em i just never had
Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

If you simply heat them a bit on a grill or in a dry pan or over an open flame, corn tortillas will become flexible enough to fold into soft tacos (soft = not fried) but not enough to fold up for burritos. I find that steaming them can make them too soft, causing them to fall apart. However, it all varies from brand to brand and depends a lot on freshness.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
for tacos, i quickly fry in hot oil. and i do mean quickly on one side, over and other side. they will fold nicely. probably could roll em i just never had

I do this also. I eat the leftover one too. I heat them on one side on a gas burner, flip, top with cheese, after the cheese melts, pull it off, top with shredded lettuce, fold and eat. YUMYUM.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
If you simply heat them a bit on a grill or in a dry pan or over an open flame, corn tortillas will become flexible enough to fold into soft tacos (soft = not fried) but not enough to fold up for burritos. I find that steaming them can make them too soft, causing them to fall apart. However, it all varies from brand to brand and depends a lot on freshness.
Scotch is right,

The grill is the best way of making them pliable, then I normally throw them into the oven when I am done,

And cook them for about 10-15 minutes so that the edges can get crispy but everything else remains soft!