"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-14-2014, 03:29 AM   #31
Sous Chef

I do leftovers, make sandwiches, soups, whatever for lunch. I have low blood sugar, the opposite of diabetes so I rely on protein. Lunch is small, and on my breaks I also eat a sandwich or healthy protein bar with milk. I have to have tiny meals every two or three hours to keep from getting shaky and dizzy.

I'm too busy keeping myself from passing out to worry about anything but protein.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Our kids (and, before them, us) had short thermoses with a wide mouth. Perfect for stews or other spoon-able foods. Our niece loves baked beans. When she was in school, my SIL would pack them for our niece's lunch. When she opened the thermos she would exclaim "baked beans again! I told Mom I don't like beans. Oh, well, guess I have to eat them".

Farmer Jon, if your wife sliced the hot dogs and put the pieces into baked beans you might get better mileage with your tractor.
CG, when I was a kid my mom also packed stew and soups in a mini thermos too. Thinking about that, I am so grateful she made sure I had hot lunch for school.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Charlie,

This may help.

STANLEY ® | Stanley Product Filter

Thank you. Ey sure make good product, I only wish they had something bigger. My mom has this thermos, it is almost a gallon size. Now that's a food thermos, large enough for whole family.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Thank you. Ey sure make good product, I only wish they had something bigger. My mom has this thermos, it is almost a gallon size. Now that's a food thermos, large enough for whole family.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
You can put soup in any thermos. I have 2 that I use for coffee. one is a Craftsman it holds a whole 12 cup pot. The Stanley only holds 8. Next time you go to sears go to the tool section and check them out.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I spent years with no choice but to bring my lunch. Now I do not want to. I want that 30 to 45 minutes away from the project site to clear my head. And yes I can cook and quite often have leftovers in the fridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm exactly the same way. There are still days that I bring lunch in to work. I might eat it that day or I might go out. But a lot of times it's just nice to get away from work.
It was leave the office and have a nice quite lunch, or stay at the office and work through your lunch.
It did not take long to make the decision to leave. Everyday.

I was a salesman and I wanted all my calls no matter if it was lunch time or not. I had to make a decision to allow the customer to wait until I got back. I needed that down time.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
You can put soup in any thermos. I have 2 that I use for coffee. one is a Craftsman it holds a whole 12 cup pot. The Stanley only holds 8. Next time you go to sears go to the tool section and check them out.
Hm, 12 cups sound good. I was thinking more in line of real food not just soup, but it is already better.
Thank you.

Tags
lunch