ISO sides for a BBQ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
My brother is throwing a "Kick-off-to-Summer" bbq bash in May, where he'll be grilling burgers, dogs, etc. He asked each of us to bring something. Any ideas? I don't want to be the guy who shows up with potato chips or soda..:-p

At our house this is a MUST for every cookout.

MY MOM'S MACARONI SALAD (ate this all the time growing up – and still eat it all the time)
8 oz. box elbow macaroni (cooked, drained, and cooled. This is one time I rinse the macaroni well or too much dressing will absorb in and it will be dry - I also like the elbow macaroni found in the Mexican section, it's smaller)
-sliced radishes, 4 or 5 large
-cucumber, cut long ways, seeds removed, and sliced
-1 yellow pepper, chopped
-1 tomato, chopped (you can use any type of tomato i.e., Roma, grape, etc. If using grape still cut in half so tomato juice flavors salad)
-1 med-large carrot ribbons or just sliced carrots
-2 hard boiled eggs, grated (a must for this salad)

DRESSING
1 cup Miracle Whip
1 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
s & p to taste (heavy on the pepper)

Mix all dressing ingredients first. Add veggies to macaroni and then mix most of dressing with everything. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to let flavors blend. Not totally necessary but it does help. Right before serving mix rest of dressing in with everything else if needed. Serves 8-10

Warning – if you try to change this recipe by not using 1/2 mayo and 1/2 miracle whip my mother will haunt you for the rest of your life!!!!!

Last edited:
Another pasta salad fan. This is a basic recipe I change out (i.e. more/different cheeses, salad dressing, fresh veggies in season, add in crab or shrimp) for take-alongs, bbqs, or at home during the summer.

Layered Picnic Pasta Salad

That sounds really tasty Amy.

It's really yummy & colorful, GB. I use more dressing, and a few layers of shredded cheese - cheddar, colby, jack, mozzarella/combo, & diced or red onion rings. Add in roasted sweet red peppers and/or marinated artichoke hearts, garbanzos -there's so many possibilities. Also, it doubles easily - just adjust seasonings. Cover & let chill a few for the flavors to get happy.

People always like these baked beans and it makes a lot or you can even add an extra can of pork and beans if needed. I think Van Camps pork and beans work best with this recipe.

3 Bean Bake

1 can of kidney beans (drained)
1 can of french style green beans (drained)
1 can of lima beans (drained)
1 lrge can or 2 reg cans of pork & beans
1/2 cup of vinegar ( cidar) (can add less)
1 lrge onion sliced thin
1 Tble spoon mustard
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar
about 3 pieces of bacon cut into inch size pieces to mix in ( I cook them a little in the microwave first)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teasoon salt

mix all togeter in a big casserole bowl and bake at 350* for an hour..(I put extra bacon slices on top)

I zap my bacon a bit ( 3 mins) in the microwave to remove some of the fat and to make sure it gets cooked.

gotta have mac salad or potato salad at a bbq too. :) It would be good to find out what others are bringing.

I'd bring the baked beans. I've got an easy tasty recipe if you like it.

Or better yet...bring a wonderful dessert! Home made vanilla bean ice cream!!

A couple of thoughts:
  • Deviled eggs
  • Marinated salad - dice tomatoes, cucumbers, and green peppers, make a vinaigrette of red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper, marinate for an hour or so before serving.
HTH.

Just how much do you want to impress them? Here's one that will probably turn some heads.

Take a three pound pork butt roast and cook it over a divided bed of charcoal, with some good fruit wood such as apple or cherry thrown over the coals for smoke, on a covered grill for about thirty minutes, with the vents closed half way. Remove the roast from the grill and throw it into a slow cooker on the low setting, and let it sit in there with some sliced onion overnight. Before the picknic, take a fork and shred the pork, stirring int the juices. Bring along a honey/mustard based bbq sauce, a tomato based bbq sauce, and a mayo based bbq sauce with some horseradish, and some hamburger buns. This is gauranteed to please all comers.

If you want to take it a step or two up, a beef roulaide made from flank or skirt steak (well marbled), stuffed with a good bread dressing, or fruit dressing, or if you really want to impress, a lobster or crab stuffing, and slowly barbecued over a divided bed of coals and served hot will really impress.

For veggie sides, you could bring pre-cooked phyllo cups, filled with fruit and whipped cream, or a fruit salad served in a hollowed out watermellon.

Devilled eggs is always a hit as well. And everyone appreciates a great leafy sallad with good salad dressings such as ranch, or raspberry vinagarette.

Hope you find something to inspire you from what we have all posted.

seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My brother is throwing a "Kick-off-to-Summer" bbq bash in May, where he'll be grilling burgers, dogs, etc. He asked each of us to bring something. Any ideas? I don't want to be the guy who shows up with potato chips or soda..:-p

MUST haves for a BBQ... Baked beans and potato salad. Slaw is a nice addition another to consider... tomatoes with fresh mozzarella balls in a vinaigrette, very tasty.

Everyone has most of the basics pretty well covered ... but to go with that vanilla ice cream - you need a warm peach cobbler to put a scoop of that ice cream on!

Beans are obviously, from the posts, a gotta have at a BBQ.

We make them by sweating some diced onions.

Cook up some diced kielbasa, the size of the dice is your choice, until not quite browned.

Add a bunch of cans of your favorite baked beans. Would reserve some of the liquid, can always add more later.

Then some syrup, pancake syrup works well. Or some brown sugar. Then some mustard powder, like Coleman's.

I like a tad of vinegar but go easy.

And if you want to add some browned diced bacon it will only taste better.

Sorry no amounts. But this is a by feel and taste recipe to me.

Oh, sorry, a bit of Worchestershireshireshire sauce always helps.

And a shake or two of a hot sauce will add a lot, just keep the level of hot below the taste bud screen.

I hate to say it but usually add a dash of liquid smoke. Know a lot of folks have problems with the stuff, but in some recipes it does help. And this is one. But tread very carefully with this addition.

Anyway am sure it will be great. God bless.

Uncle Bob! You sure know the way to a woman's heart! I have a really great herb butter to go with that!

Aw shucks ma'am...thank you. I always plant a big corn patch for just that purpose! :rolleyes: I enjoy sharing...it gives me a warm feeling. Sometimes I even get invited to a bowl of warm peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream!;)

Now that I have "stolen" your heart...would ya share the butter recipe with me?

Back
Top Bottom