Kosher verses pickling salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a follow-up to your follow-up, Lifter...

I first would strongly encourage everyone to try your tomato test with salt. I did, as noted above, and found it very enlightening…and downright good!

Lifter, for the average American, you are right on the mark. The prepared foods we consume, whether from a restaurant or a refrigerator case in the supermarket, are loaded with salt and, yes, it is iodized. The concern for most of us average folk is not iodine deficiency, but too much salt in our diets from those prepared foods and, notably, Mickey D's. And I strongly support your suggestion that people read the fine print on the foods they buy and take ownership of all that they ingest, not just sodium, which is something I feel people are doing more and more.

In your original post on this subject, you raised the question of why there is a reason to use iodized salt.

“Sea Salt is around or about the same price, and having used both SS and KS, I cannot understand any role for iodised salt in this life (well, okay, I can still learn!)”

Its role was what I responded to, with apologies for my verbosity.

Again, I completely agree with you, in so far as the “average” American is concerned. However, not to beleaguer a point intentionally, I would again say that there exists a growing population of people, in the USA, who have totally abdicated table salt. For the adults, big deal…for now. But for their young children, I cringe. There is a major medical center in Fort Worth known as CookChildrens Hospital, and another in Dallas known as Childrens Medical Center. BOTH pediatric hospitals have witnessed an increase of infants with cretinism. CookChildrens has seen four this year alone, and in Dallas, they’ve noted three that I know of. At Cooks, the one commonality among all four patients is that the mothers, with the likely intent of eating the healthiest food she could find in gestation, used kosher salt exclusively in her diet. Granted, these were people who took an extreme tact of no processed foods, only fresh fruits and vegetables, strictly organic foods, etc., and the “average” people don’t go to that extreme, or at least stick with it. But a very few do. And it has potentially devastating results. For a point of reference, neither pediatric hospital here had seen IDD-attributed cretinism in decades until about five years ago. This year’s counts doubled from last year. Yes. I am concerned.

You and I, and probably just about everyone else here are just fine, Lifter. IDD is the least of our health concerns and always will be. And, yes, IDD occurs prominently in third-world countries. But, believe me, it is recurring here and in our most vulnerable and precious population of all. So, to quote my father, “The only lesson mankind has learned from history is that man never learns a darned thing from history.”

For the record, I am a doctor of emergency medicine, who is now enjoying sea salt these days thanks to your suggestion….! (It’s really good!)

HMMM!

Noted that the replacement tube of Sea Salt is now "iodised" as well, and hoping it doesn't kill that slightly "sweeter" taste...

Lifter

Back
Top Bottom