McDonald Fries are Bad for You!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to admit they are my favorite fries. And even still I don't eat them alot. Maybe 5 times a year, and that's pushing it.

(And that was still a gross experiment)

We just don't eat fast food. Ever. Dd (5 years old) has never set foot in McDonald's and won't until she's able to buy it herself. That stuff is poison. That fellow that did the video... he was in the hospital after he did his SuperSize Me documentary because after eating McDonald's for a month solid, he was in liver failure. 'Nuff said.

;)Why are we only picking on MDs what about all the other fast food places and the stuff convience stores sell like the sweet rolls.giant muffins etc all made with transfat those scare me more than MDs fries.

;)Why are we only picking on MDs what about all the other fast food places and the stuff convience stores sell like the sweet rolls.giant muffins etc all made with transfat those scare me more than MDs fries.

True enough... I guess I like picking on McD because it's a giant corporation that like to squash little ppl. I don't really like their policies when it comes to dealing with food. If they can find a loophole around it, they would.

That fellow that did the video... he was in the hospital after he did his SuperSize Me documentary because after eating McDonald's for a month solid, he was in liver failure. 'Nuff said

Well duh that's his own idiotic fault. You're not supposed to eat it for every meal for a month.

That fellow that did the video... he was in the hospital after he did his SuperSize Me documentary because after eating McDonald's for a month solid, he was in liver failure. 'Nuff said

Well duh that's his own idiotic fault. You're not supposed to eat it for every meal for a month.

I so agree w/ you, I love a Big Mac and fries -- seldom though !

I never eat at MD's but not because it is bad for me....just don't like anything they have. I do, however, indulge in many things that are "bad" for me but taste oh so good! I am afraid to say what fast food I do indulge in.......shhhhh it's Taco Bell.......

Yep to whoever said DUH! LOL. You need to do everything in moderation. And the dude in Supersize me didn't do ANYTHING at all. No exercise, just couch potato boy.

Yep to whoever said DUH! LOL. You need to do everything in moderation. And the dude in Supersize me didn't do ANYTHING at all. No exercise, just couch potato boy.

It's true but that's the whole part of the story. He let off exercising so he could pursue his theory when it comes to McD. I'm just amazed he could eat the entire menu from breakfast to dinner. Just thinking about it makes me sick. I don't know how he can do it all in the name of publicity. :dry:

I like the part where his GF is about to 'de-tox' him from eating McD. Hilarious!

I have knocked MD's for years but have to admit they have come up with some decent salads. I have had their Santa Fe chicken salad and I have to say I enjoyed it. Maybe they are repenting of their evil ways!

It's true but that's the whole part of the story. He let off exercising so he could pursue his theory when it comes to McD. I'm just amazed he could eat the entire menu from breakfast to dinner. Just thinking about it makes me sick. I don't know how he can do it all in the name of publicity. :dry:

I like the part where his GF is about to 'de-tox' him from eating McD. Hilarious!

I don't believe the Supersize event proved anything. If he had lived his life exactly as before with teh McD's the only change, you may be able to draw a conclusion. But if he stopped exercising during the supersize month, he introduced an additional variable that invalidates any conclusion that McD was the cause of his weight gain. If he stopped exercising and continued to eat the way he always did, he would gain weight.

Aside from Micky-D's reputation, I prefer a fatter fry, one with actual potato flavor and texture inside, and with steam coming out after I bite into it. It tastes like fried potato, not potato sticks or potato chips. What you are mostly tasting in the fast-food fries is fat and salt, with a hint of potato flavor. I happen to love the taste of potatoes, and when I take the rare order of french fries (can't eat potatoes often as I'm diabetic) I want something with potato flavor. But that's just one man's opinion.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This thread has taken some twists and turns and I've found it quite interesting reading everyone's comments.

We all have our preferences and dislikes.

I grew up in a time when there were no fast food places, so I didn't acquire a taste or desire for them. And, because of that, my children didn't become "addicted," if that's the correct term," for fast food.

My last statement should be qualified by letting you know that when my children were born and were growing up, we lived in Washington, D.C., which certainly had its share of fast food outlets.

Having said all of the above, I definitely have had foods served by McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. and have enjoyed same. However, my visits to these places are usually only because I've been traveling and not because it's "what's for dinner."

Really, I think we can all eat fast food as long as it's not a steady diet. As someone already said...moderation.

Oh, my fast food "special" meal would be: (Buck and I have had discussions about this.)

McDonald's fries
Steak 'n' Shake chocolate "malted" milk shake
Dairy Queen brazier burger
Dairy Queen "dilly bar" for dessert*

* P.S. When I lived in Minnesota, my best friend and I would walk to the local Dairy Queen just for a dilly bar. Mine was always chocolate mint. Yum. I was in college at the time. Many moons ago.:)

McDonald's fries
Steak 'n' Shake chocolate "malted" milk shake
Dairy Queen brazier burger
Dairy Queen "dilly bar" for dessert*

* P.S. When I lived in Minnesota, my best friend and I would walk to the local Dairy Queen just for a dilly bar. Mine was always chocolate mint. Yum. I was in college at the time. Many moons ago.:)

I love me those Dilly Bars! But there are very few DQ's out here. When I lived in Mpls. there was one just 2 blocks away, so we had one every Saturday.

I love me those Steak and Shake shakes too. Alas, no S and S's here neither.:neutral:

Aside from Micky-D's reputation, I prefer a fatter fry, one with actual potato flavor and texture inside, and with steam coming out after I bite into it.

That would be a Wendy's french fry!

What you are mostly tasting in the fast-food fries is fat and salt, with a hint of potato flavor.

What you WERE tasting with McDonald's fries was the inclusion of beef talon (the equivalent lard, only from a cow instead of a pig) in the frying medium.

Now I'm not saying that the McDonald's french fries are not bad for your health. They contain little if any nutritional value and are choked full of fat and starches. In other words, they are the foods described as empty calories. They don't help your body, but rather, stress it, along with white flour, and other highly processed foods. That is where the danger in eating them really lies. They fill you and give you nothing good for your body.

Well, that's not quite true. This is not to say that McDonald's fries should be a frequent part of one's diet, but there is some nutritional value in them: Calories in McDonald's Small French Fry - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

Home-made fries probably contain a similar amount of fat, and the starch is the same as it would be in a baked potato.

I enjoy them occasionally myself, although I prefer Burger King because the burgers are flame-broiled.

I have never liked Burger King's burgers. They always taste like some noctural animal was making wee-wee on their charcoal. Carl's Jr (or Hardee's in some areas) broils their burgers, but they don't carry that funny taste that Burger King's do.

...Home-made fries probably contain a similar amount of fat, and the starch is the same as it would be in a baked potato.

I enjoy them occasionally myself, although I prefer Burger King because the burgers are flame-broiled.

I agree with you completely, which is why I shun potato products most of the time. As a diabetic, there just isn't enough food value for the starch intake. Now sweet-potato fries on the other hand...

The sad part is that I know how to make some truly wonderful tasting potato dishes. I do miss the little buggers. :(

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom