Mexican Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

declanuk

Assistant Cook
Hey..

I am currently doing a project a school which involves having to make 2 dishes (with accompaniments) from an international country.

I was thinking of doing Mexican and was wondering if any of you could possibly make any suggestions of what to make?

I know there are things like burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas etc but I want to make something more traditional/less popular?

Thanks

^^^ So asking a cooking forum isn't figuring out how to use resources? Chances are, with only having one post, they found this site through a Google search in an attempt to locate resources... I say, good job OP use every resource available.

Anyway, I'd suggest if you want Mexico maybe look into carne guisada since it can hold well in a catering-like situation. Menudo is also a great option for something that will hold well and it's very traditional, especially for curing hangovers.
Want to really do it up? Make some barbacoa de cabeza de res.

Last edited:
Hi,

Guacamole.

I thnk Arroz con pollo ( chicken with rice) is good. You can cut up the chicken into bite size pieces, if you are going to share with a class.

Jicama( prounced HeeKama) is a raw vegetable served in salads. As a snack, peel it and cut into thin sticks, eat like carrots. Sprinkle with lime juice before serving and have a bowl of salt heavily laced with chile pepper powder for dipping.

Flan, a caramel pudding, makes a cool dessert.

Good luck with your class project.

Mexican cuisine is really diverse! There are many regional favorites. Some of our faves from the Yucatan: Cochinita pibil (slow roasted pulled pork) with pickled onions, fish or shrimp ceviche, shrimp cocktail (where we go, orange soda is the key ingredient in the cocktail sauce), fish tacos, flan (try it made with Kahlua), frijoles charro (bean soup, delish!), whole fried fish, all kinds of salsas, mole chicken.

Here's a menu from a very old Yucatan restaurant:

http://www.casadenis.com/menu.htm

Last edited:
I'm tackling Pork Carnitas today. I'll serve them with flour tortillas, lettuce, tomato and salsa and add a side of Southern Brown rice - (white rice, butter, mushrooms, onions and cooked in beef broth.) Since my DH keeps saying he doesn't like Mexican food, we'll see how he likes this.

I'm tackling Pork Carnitas today. I'll serve them with flour tortillas, lettuce, tomato and salsa and add a side of Southern Brown rice - (white rice, butter, mushrooms, onions and cooked in beef broth.) Since my DH keeps saying he doesn't like Mexican food, we'll see how he likes this.

Sounds great! IMHO, saying you don't like Mexican food is like saying you don't like American food. There is such huge variety.

Homemade chorizo. Maybe a torta (sandwich). Chili rellenos or tamales. These are all typical, everyday items that aren't very envolved. If you really feel adventurous, try your hand at a mole.

Here are two tamale sites that feature sweet tamales. I have had these, when I lived in San Diego area. They were made by an elderly lady who I, and a companion visited. It was part of a church function that we did. We'd clean her bird cage, and visit with her, find out other household maintenance needs that she had, and she'd make wonderful Mexican foods to keep us coming back every month. Once of the outstanding things she made was sweet tamales.

Dessert tamales make a great holiday tradition

Mexican Sweet Tamales Recipe - CHOW

As others have said, there is such a variety of food in Mexico. One of my favorites is Carne Asada, a filling for tacos, burritos, and enchiladas. I'd serve the stuff over rice too. It is so flavorful and delicious. Here's the re3cipe I use:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. flank or round steak
1 fresh onion, peeled and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded, washed, and diced
2 jalapeno peppers, washed, seeded and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbs. freshly minced cilantro
juice of two limes
salt to taste.

Cook the steak over hot charcoal until medium rare. Remove and let cool.
Dice the meat into small dice, and add remaining ingredients, with the meat, into a heavy pan, with a little lard, or cooking oil (just enough to coat the pan bottom). Cook until the veggies are partially cooked through. There should be a mild crunch to them. Serve with fresh corn tortillas, softened in hot oil, with salsa or whatever you like in your tacos. Or, wrap in a flour tortilla with cheese and refried beans.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Traditional Mexican Cooking

You should try making some authentic traditional mexican recipes. And making your own taco shells and tortillas.
:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
How about chicken soup?

Caldo De Pollo

The ingredients should be easily available in any grocery store. It is really just a basic chicken and rice soup with some additional flavor elements. You will find many traditional recipes on the internet!

Hello and ...

IMG_20130410_221753.jpg

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipes/

Good luck with your assignment.

Please let us know how it goes. We'd love to have you stick around!

:)

Hey..

I am currently doing a project a school which involves having to make 2 dishes (with accompaniments) from an international country.

I was thinking of doing Mexican and was wondering if any of you could possibly make any suggestions of what to make?

I know there are things like burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas etc but I want to make something more traditional/less popular?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to DC Declan :)

Hope you do well with your assignment!

Has anyone noticed that this thread was started in February and the OP has never posted again?

I was thinking the same thing GG. It makes for good ideas for the rest of us but I'm sure the OP's assignment was completed a long time ago. Does anyone but be get slightly annoyed when the membership is asked for help and the original poster never says another word? Just seems rude to me. :ermm:

Sounds great! IMHO, saying you don't like Mexican food is like saying you don't like American food. There is such huge variety.

So true Dawg. Most of the Mexican dishes that are eaten in this country have been modified to the Americal palate. So now it has become Amer/Mex food. The closest you are going to get to true Mexican food in this country is in the southwest. Texas, New Mexico, etc. The closest you are going to get to true Mexican dishes is located at the site below. He makes trips to Mexico all the time to get the true dishes of Mexico.

Recipes from Chef Rick Bayless: Recipes - Rick Bayless | Frontera :angel:

Last edited:
So true Dawg. Most of the Mexican dishes that are eaten in this country have been modified to the Americal palate. So now it has become Amer/Mex food. The closest you are going to get to true Mexican food in this country is in the southwest. Texas, New Mexico, etc. The closest you are going to get to true Mexican dishes is located at the site below. He makes trips to Mexico all the time to get the true dishes of Mexico.

Recipes from Chef Rick Bayless: Recipes - Rick Bayless | Frontera :angel:

Indeed, Addie! Rick "gets it". Thanks for the link!

Addie said:
So true Dawg. Most of the Mexican dishes that are eaten in this country have been modified to the Americal palate. So now it has become Amer/Mex food. The closest you are going to get to true Mexican food in this country is in the southwest. Texas, New Mexico,

You're so right Addie.

Texas gives us TexMex. I once ordered chicken enchiladas in El Paso and the enchilada sauce was canned condensed tomato soup. Another time I ordered a pizza with green chile on it and got green peppers.

The food here in New Mexico is uniquely New Mexican, a combination of Native American and Mexican food.

I've always been amazed at the scarceness of authentic Mexican food in neighboring states although that is improving with the influx of Mexican migrants.

The small Mom & Pop Mexican places in San Diego used to be incredible. But they slowly got squeezed out by the Mexican Restaurant chains, where the food was definitely Americanized. It made me sad to go there to visit, and not be able to find an honest-to-goodness shredded beef taco, or carne asada burrito. I used to love the Mexican food in that town, with the fresh tortillas, softened in hot oil, and the wonderfully authentic flavors. Now, I find that with the never ending growth of the town, it hasn't gotten better. For me, the town has lost much of its charm.:(

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom