"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Need Menu Help!

I want to make fresh pasta with pesto on it. But don't know what else to serve. My husband does not feel it is a meal unless there is some meat. I was thinking chicken. Maybe in the pesto pasta, or a chicken side dish that would compliment the pasta. Any ideas?

Or I could make a baked chicken pesto but then I don't know what to put on the fresh pasta that would go well.

I am making the pasta for my first time. Going to cut it into strips like fetachini.

I am also making no-knead crusty bread for garlic bread. And of course some red wine.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2cookin View Post
I want to make fresh pasta with pesto on it. But don't know what else to serve. My husband does not feel it is a meal unless there is some meat. I was thinking chicken. Maybe in the pesto pasta, or a chicken side dish that would compliment the pasta. Any ideas?

Or I could make a baked chicken pesto but then I don't know what to put on the fresh pasta that would go well.

I am making the pasta for my first time. Going to cut it into strips like fetachini.

I am also making no-knead crusty bread for garlic bread. And of course some red wine.
Welcome to DC
Your idea is nice We serve pesto often in the summer aong with it is either a roasted or fried chicken.Fixing chicken works well and tastes great. We also chop some tomatoes and serve alongside the pesto to top it with. Tomatoes and basil seem to be made for each other.
kadesma

Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I agree. A boneless chicken breast, pounded flat, and grilled would make a great addition.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Welcome to DC
Your idea is nice We serve pesto often in the summer aong with it is either a roasted or fried chicken.Fixing chicken works well and tastes great. We also chop some tomatoes and serve alongside the pesto to top it with. Tomatoes and basil seem to be made for each other.
kadesma

That is a good idea serving chopped tomatoes alongside to compliment the pesto pasta. I think I will do that to enhance the pasta flavors. I too love the taste of tomatoes and basil.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I agree. A boneless chicken breast, pounded flat, and grilled would make a great addition.
Thanks for the idea of the chicken breast being pounded flat and grilled. I think a regular flavored grilled chicken would go well. Something that won't over power the pesto pasta or fight with it as a flavor. I could even get my husband to grill the chicken.

I was brain locked trying to think too hard on it I guess. Something as simple as grilled chicken, sounds perfect.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

You could get really fancy and slice the cooked breast into large strips and lay the whole thing on top of the pasta and dress with a few basil leaves and then fan the sliced tomato on the side.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
You could get really fancy and slice the cooked breast into large strips and lay the whole thing on top of the pasta and dress with a few basil leaves and then fan the sliced tomato on the side.

Ohh, that sounds awesome for presentation. I can slice up the grilled chicken. I happen to have basil plants so I have leaves at hand. It should be pretty colorful with all the green and a splash of red from the tomatoes.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I really like how everyone's ideas all build on each other and can all be combined to make what sounds like an awesome surprise dinner for my husband.