Need opinions on Italian menu plan for birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well my mom picked an italian style pork roast which is really just a pork roast with italian herbs. I was planning on having risotto before that day and was going to use the left over risotto for showing off the risotto balls to my mom "lol". Than I realized that pork roast usually is made with gravy and the men around here like gravy with meat and potatoes. Than I couldn't figure out what kind of balls to serve that would go with gravy "won't they get soggy?" and came up with the italian style potatoe wedges.

potato wedges are good with pork roast... a favorite dinner at home... go with em and by all means if you are making the risotto anyway make the balls... they are tasty and a good use for leftover risotto... just make the balls dip em in egg bread em and fry em up til crispy. Stuffing with cheese always a good idea

potato wedges are good with pork roast... a favorite dinner at home... go with em and by all means if you are making the risotto anyway make the balls... they are tasty and a good use for leftover risotto... just make the balls dip em in egg bread em and fry em up til crispy. Stuffing with cheese always a good idea

Arancini (little oranges) are traditionally made with leftover cold risotto. They are stuffed with mozzarella cheese that melts in your mouth as you bite into the arancino. OH MY GOSH! And Risotto Milanese is perfect for this. I make mine this way and they do take some time and some work.

If the risotto balls get gravy on them (if I serve it next to the pork) - or if they decide to pour gravy on it, than will it ruin the risotto balls?

If the risotto balls get gravy on them (if I serve it next to the pork) - or if they decide to pour gravy on it, than will it ruin the risotto balls?

I'n not sure if "ruin" is the right word, but it will change the taste considerably. Are you stuffing the risotto balls? Are you breading and frying them and are you using just plain risotto?

I'n not sure if "ruin" is the right word, but it will change the taste considerably. Are you stuffing the risotto balls? Are you breading and frying them and are you using just plain risotto?

probably the risotto milanese, I was going to do the risotto in the pasta sauce....but now not sure yet. Oh definetely breading and frying them. The risotto will be made the day before.
Mary
Mary

also if I make the egg drop soup, should be fine if I make it the day before and than put it in the crockpot on warm about an hour before serving?

Don't put the egg in then refrigerate it and rewarm. Leave the egg for the last or it will coagulate.
Have you ever made arancini before? You know that the rice should be cold so it can be made into balls without falling apart. Fresh risotto is very creamy and won't ball up. These are perfect for making the day before. Fry just before serving.

If you were traveling to a friends house and wanted to make risotto balls, could you form the balls and bread them...basically doing everything before the frying and than fry them at there house?

If you were traveling to a friends house and wanted to make risotto balls, could you form the balls and bread them...basically doing everything before the frying and than fry them at there house?

Yes, you can. I'm a 'do ahead" person and I often make these in the morning then refrigerate till dinnertime. They hold their shape better after resting in the fridge.

Yes, you can. I'm a 'do ahead" person and I often make these in the morning then refrigerate till dinnertime. They hold their shape better after resting in the fridge.

Great, that is good to know. Anything ahead of time is good news to me.

final menu

ok, not sure if anyone is following along but I did some research last night (got to love the internet) and I decided on this. First let me explain that usually we'll have a bunch of appetizers like dips and chips and assortment of olives and cheeses, pepporonis ect.

So instead of doing that, I'm having a small assortment of hot appetizers when they first arrive. I'm usually skeptical of hot - because they cool down fast and sometimes people don't walk in the door and immediately start eating. Anyways:

Assortment of hot appetizers will be a bagna cauda dip with raw veggies for dipping, risotto balls and little stuffed mushrooms stuffed with italian sausage. I won't make a lot of each.

Dinner will be Arrosto di Maiale alle Erbe (Pork Roast with Herbs), Italian Potatoe Wedges and Carotine al Burro (buttered sauteed baby carrots).

Still decided on desert.

On Friday I'll be making the Risotto. The day before the party (party is Sunday)...I'll be making the stuffed mushrooms but not broiling them and the dip. Saturday morning I'm making the risotto balls (but not frying them) and I'm going to season the pork loin.

Than the rest will be done as it gets closer to when they are coming.

If I were you I'd stop right there. This plan sounds perfect and I can't imagine how you could improve on it. Go for this one and enjoy the rest of the week relaxed, knowing that you've got a winning menu.

As for dessert, if you really want an Italian dessert, do what they do. Put out an assortment of cheeses, fruits and nuts. OR just serve coffee and an assortment of Italian or light cookies from a good bakery. After that dinner I doubt anyone will want anything "involved" or heavy. Good luck. I hope you take pictures or at least tell us all how everything turned out.

If I were you I'd stop right there. This plan sounds perfect and I can't imagine how you could improve on it. Go for this one and enjoy the rest of the week relaxed, knowing that you've got a winning menu.

As for dessert, if you really want an Italian dessert, do what they do. Put out an assortment of cheeses, fruits and nuts. OR just serve coffee and an assortment of Italian or light cookies from a good bakery. After that dinner I doubt anyone will want anything "involved" or heavy. Good luck. I hope you take pictures or at least tell us all how everything turned out.

Thanks. Yes I like this final meal plan. I'm going to try to make the risotto MINI as I can get as far as the balls.

I like the assortment of italian cookies. The only thing I have to think about is the birthday as we usually have a cake and blow out candles. I got so much work todo...I'm not sure if I even want to make anything now. hmmmmm

Then the birthday cake IS your dessert. I doubt many people will want dessert AND birthday cake. After your terrific dinner that may be just a little too much. I would just serve it a little later.

Thanks. Yes I like this final meal plan. I'm going to try to make the risotto MINI as I can get as far as the balls.

My experience with things like Arancini, is if you are making them for the first time, as you are starting, make a few that are "not-so-small." The teensy ones are a bit more difficult, because you are stuffing them, and there has to be something inside, and then the rice around it. So practice a bit, and don't be disappointed if you can't get them to be as small as you'd like. The best ones, imho, are not too tiny.

Buon Appetito!

Back
Top Bottom