newbie & need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

la guera loca

Assistant Cook
Hi, I don't know when I joined this forum, I was just searching recipe forums and found myself back here again. I love to cook, but between going to college full time and working full time I don't find much time for it anymore, which leads me to my question...

I have to work on Thanksgiving from 1p-9pm, but I would still love to be able to make my family a real turkey dinner. I was hoping to find someone who has actually made a full turkey in their crockpot. I know I won't be able to make a large one, so maybe I'll end up making one for Thanksgiving and one the following week. I'd love to use the leftovers for some hot turkey sandwiches or other recipes I've stumbled across in my search.

If you have made a full turkey (not just the breast) please let me know.

Thanks,
Sheila aka La Guera Loca

Hiya, welcome back.

Cooking a Turkey in a Crock pot isn't much different then cooking a chicken in one. Except the timing. You'll need a thermometer.

I've made a few in my crocks. The easiest way for me and it will shorten the cooking time just a bit was to find a small turkey. Defrost it fully. Then spatchcock it. Remove the back. Place it breast side up cooked on high for an hour or so covered, then low until it was fully cooked. Adding a little broth to the bottom helps keep it moist. You don't need a lot of it. The crock itself will keep the moisture in. But it won't get the skin crispy.

If your crock is large enough after it has already been in for an hour or so. Remove it add some stuffing to the bottom. Top it with the turkey. Keeping in mind the less water or broth added the better. Foil wrap some sweet potatoes and add them to.

You could set it up the night before and have your dinner ready by the morning.

Good luck :)

Munky.

Does your oven have a timer? I routinely use the timer function on mine to make meals. I've no idea about the crockpot though. Sorry!

here's a totally different approach which can be done in only 1 1/2 hours or so bake time and give you crispy skin too. if someone can throw it in the oven for you at around 8:00, it should be about ready when you get home.

- prepare stuffing and place in bottom of a casserole or roasting pan.

- salt & pepper the skin, then quarter the bird and place the breasts, wings, and legs skin-side up on top of the stuffing. on the legs, make a slice on the inside section from the knee joint up the thigh and butterfly it open. this should make the thigh about as thick as the breast meat, so the cooking time will be the same and you won't need to worry about dried out breast meat.

the downside to this approach is that you'll want to melt a little butter for basting, as all the fat and juice from the bird run into and is absorbed by the stuffing, which comes out deliciously, though. you'll need something else for the gravy, too.

clean up is easy, too. ;)

Well I searched and searched and couldn't find a turkey small enough for my crockpot, so I guess we are going the "old fashioned" route. I will be using an oven bag to cook it in. Well I guess I should say we...I'm going to get it all prepped and ready to pop into the oven and my fiance will be home from working out of town so he will pop it in the oven for me. It will be a late dinner, but hey late is better than nothing.
Thank you for everyone's advice, I can't wait to find out how it turns out, even if it's dry the leftovers will be used mostly in the crockpot so it really doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom