"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I'll watch the temp a little closer next time. I did have a pretty good bubble going. Mine has butter, garlic, scallions, cream, and 1/2 Parmesan and 1/2 Romano. Not really classic but still good. I will also pre-cook mushrooms, shrimp, crab meat or chicken and add to the sauce at the very end.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbrooks View Post
I'll watch the temp a little closer next time. I did have a pretty good bubble going. Mine has butter, garlic, scallions, cream, and 1/2 Parmesan and 1/2 Romano. Not really classic but still good. I will also pre-cook mushrooms, shrimp, crab meat or chicken and add to the sauce at the very end.
Sounds delicious. If you use heavy cream, you can let it boil to thicken with no problems. I've made it with Romano in a pinch (thought I had Parm Reg but didn't) and it was good.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Do not bring Alfredo sauce to a boil. You risk two things if you do.

First, you risk scorching the cream which will damage your sauce and make it unusable.

Second, it's impossible to test for the proper thickness in a boiling sauce. The bubbles and temperature make the sauce seem thinner than it will really be once cooled and served. A sauce just below simmer gives a more reliable test for texture.

A good cook develops patience.

Authentic Alfredo Sauce

4 Tbs butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano)
dash of nutmeg (the secret to good Alfredo Sauce

Melt the butter over a low heat in a pan that will be large enough to hold the pasta at the end of the cooking. Do not let it boil, just melted and warm is fine.
Slowly add the cream and stir with a spoon until it is hot but not boiling and has reduced slightly.
Now add the Parmesan cheese a little at a time and stir until it is all melted. The sauce may take quite a while to thicken, keep stirring and don't let it boil. Add seasonings according to your taste. If the Parmesan is grated too course it will not melt in well. Grate the cheese as fine as possible for best results. The sauce can take a long time to reduce. Don't be tempted to add flour or cornstarch for thickening as it alters the flavor.

4 oz. of cream cheese may be added for additional creaminess.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I forgot one other ingredient I use, chopped fresh parsley. I put it in the sauce just before the cheese. Add the cheese, shut off the heat, continue to whisk until the cheese is fully incorporated and your done. I'll try the nutmeg next time. I've used nutmeg in other dishes that you'd think it wouldn't go and it adds that little taste of something that you can't put your finger on. But just a tiny bit goes a long way, you can overdo it.