Nylon khaman dhokla?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
First I do not need a recipe just help with the steaming part.

I just started trying to learn to make some Indian recipes and I want to try making this but I have no idea how to steam it.

The recipe says "When the mixture rises, pour it into a greased Thali and steam for about 10 minutes."

What is a Thali and what kind of steamer do I use. Do I need to buy special equipment and if so any suggestions?

Can I just put it in a cake pan and place it on top of my veggie steamer?

Would appreciate any help and tips. Please and thank you.

A thali is very similar to a cake pan with compartments or separate small dishes that hold different parts of the meal. You can steam it in a cake pan in your steamer.

Making Dhokla's at home is a tricky proposition. You can make it with the right equipment but inspite of that I normally don't because if it's not steamed right, it will not rise right and will be pasty in the middle and I am very picky about the texture of the dhokla

The best tip I can give you is to use a pan (heat proof) that is small enough to fit inside a large pot that is filled with water. The pan that you use has to be elevated. I have a pressure cooker that has a steamer pan and I normally use that to make my dhoklas. Thali means a plate in Hindi.

You can also make dhoklas in the microwave. Look up those recipes on the internet. Again it's O.K. not completely to my liking.

So dhoklas are one thing I either purchase readymade or ask my aunt to make. She works in a professional kitchen and has access to professional steamers so the dhokla's come out perfect. I then just do the tadka (tempering) on it and they are better than what is sold outside.

All the best.

Back
Top Bottom