Online Food Shopping - Do/don't you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Massachusetts stores are supposed to display on the shelf the unit price, the price of the item and on the product the price also. The store where I shop, they are pretty good about sticking to the law. They even do it for the produce where possible. Most of the stores fail to stamp the item itself.
I haven't seen individually priced items in years, maybe decades, in Los Angeles. Maybe a few times camping out of state and shopping in one market towns...

I usually put my "squashable" items last on the belt, so I can supervise how they're packed, and even if not they end up on top. Bread, English muffins, other bakery items... Putting the bananas last on the belt is a good strategy.

Does anybody but me sequence their items on the belt with any strategy in mind?

I try. But the baggers seem to have their own agenda.

I try. But the baggers seem to have their own agenda.
Then rag on the baggers. Rag on the market manager if the baggers don't comply. Think "squeaky wheel gets the oil."

I'll admit I never got my neighborhood Ralphs market to remember to put the asparagus with the bottoms down in water. I just love asparagus but so many times I see it on sale and it's all wilted because they didn't stand it in water. I complained to the produce manager many dozens of times but my complaints never changed their behavior.

In Massachusetts stores are supposed to display on the shelf the unit price, the price of the item and on the product the price also. The store where I shop, they are pretty good about sticking to the law. They even do it for the produce where possible. Most of the stores fail to stamp the item itself.

I have to admit that it is becoming more and more impossible to find fault with this store. My major complaint is when the cashier and bagger are chatting away in Spanish. Please give me, the customer, your undivided attention. And speak English please. You have not been employed for the purpose of socializing with your friends. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen price stickers in the grocery store in many years in my area.

I too have a pretty good memory for numbers. Being in finance for almost 40 years will do that for you. Our market has bright and clear computer monitors where I can watch each item ring up. I catch errors watching the screen while SO harasses the bagger.

I haven't seen price stickers in the grocery store in many years in my area.
With individually stamped price stickers they can't change the prices on whim, demand, marketing or any other criteria. I recall a couple decades ago a cagy customer could feel in the back shelf and find lower stickered products and get the old items for less. I must be showing my age because I doubt anybody under 50 remembers those old years.

Then it switched to whatever the shelf said, but the markets were often sloppy in updating the prices on the shelves. Consumers complained big time! As I said earlier, the media stink reached such a high frenzy that the markets had to promise that if you spotted a shelf price and got charged more then you'd get the item for free! (Or at least the first item on multiple item purchases. Presumably that protected them from a customer spotting a price error and then buying the whole shelf for free.)

I'll be surprised if there's anywhere that has prices stamped on products now. I haven't seen a supermarket worker with their little price gun in years.

I too have a pretty good memory for numbers. Being in finance for almost 40 years will do that for you. Our market has bright and clear computer monitors where I can watch each item ring up. I catch errors watching the screen while SO harasses the bagger.

I am horribly bad at math, but I do remember numbers. I watch the cashiers, Shrek watches the baggers. The baggers at the store we frequent will also carry your bags out for you, they are more than happy to. I also get a 5 cent discount for every reusable bag I bring in.

In Massachusetts, inspectors check the accuracy of the posted prices on a regular basis. We occasionally see news reports that one store or another has been fined for inaccuracies. They are allowed a very small percentage of errors, about 1% or 2%.

Just for the other side of it... I was at the store the other night, bought enough for 2 bags and just as she finished bagging things up and I was ready to cart them off she asked if I would like help getting them to my car. I was shocked. I said thank you and then declined.

One store I use meets you at the check out lane and places your items on the belt for you (unless you ask them not to). They come very close to my standards of how things should go on the belt, and into the bags. They also do have a dedicated bagger at each register (expect the express) and everyone is super nice. Yeah, it costs more. :)

I always let them take my groceries out, gives them something to do and I get a short chat with nice kids. And they refuse tips.

In Massachusetts, inspectors check the accuracy of the posted prices on a regular basis. We occasionally see news reports that one store or another has been fined for inaccuracies. They are allowed a very small percentage of errors, about 1% or 2%.

And the good news is that it is not only grocery stores that the inspectors hit. That goes for Target, Walmart, etc. The stores don't want the adverse publicity. It definitely affects their sales.

Once in a great while when I come across a conflict of stated price against the computer, the manager will call while I am standing there and tell the computer department to make the correction immediately. He then will go over to a cash register and scan the item to make sure that they weren't just 'yesing' him to death.

I used to call this store, "the store from hell." Then they built the new one that is three times the size of the old one. Hired all new personnel, trained them to do their job right, and to Serve The Customer. The store is always clean, the aisles are twice as wide as the old store, and they have about 15 electric carts for the disabled. Before they had only two. And their prices have remaned lower than other supemaarkets in my area and is definitely competitive. The workers appear to be happy to be working there. And all I have to do is stop to look over a shelf, and there are three people asking me if I need help. This store has gotten it right. Old fashion service with a smile.

What's your major complaint? Not enough cash registers? Thirty of them here. Five are express. Two at the slow end of the registers. If all operating registers have so many people in llne, another one opens immediately to take the overflow. Can't find a certain item? Wait right there. A worker will go and get it for you. In fact they will bring different sizes so you can take your pick. Plenty of slicing machines in the deli department. No waiting for a machine to be free. Your number is called and your order filled immediately. Plenty of help in the deli. The bakery department will bake a loaf of bread for you while you wait. Free coffee for you while you shop. A small cafe where you can order breakfast for early morning shoppers or lunch for later shoppers. Three different size carts. And no waiting for one like in the old store. A place to sit while waiting for a cab, both inside an outside. In fact there is a special place for cabs to park near the door so you can call one over as you exit. They have thought of everything. :chef:

Last edited:
And the good news is that it is not only grocery stores that the inspectors hit. That goes for Target, Walmart, etc. The stores don't want the adverse publicity. It definitely affects their sales.

Once in a great while when I come across a conflict of stated price against the computer, the manager will call while I am standing there and tell the computer department to make the correction immediately. He then will go over to a cash register and scan the item to make sure that they weren't just 'yesing' him to death.

But did you get any free items? I'm pretty sure that here in Los Angeles the combination of the adverse media attention caused the stores to adopt the policy that "if our scanner doesn't get the correct price posted on the shelf you'll get the item for free," and that shoppers like me making them give us free items motivated them to fix their systems.

And I'll give kudos to Ralphs, Albertson's, Von's etc. that here in LA they got things fixed. And I'm almost sorry... because I don't get any free stuff anymore! :)

Last edited:
Just for the other side of it... I was at the store the other night, bought enough for 2 bags and just as she finished bagging things up and I was ready to cart them off she asked if I would like help getting them to my car. I was shocked. I said thank you and then declined.
That's funny... I sometimes wonder if I'm getting to look doddering.... I've sometimes bought perhaps 3-4 items that didn't even fill up a whole plastic bag, and been asked if I wanted help carrying it out. Really, I don't look a year over 50... I'm sure some stores ask every customer that.. (Okay I haven't had to show ID for liquor in years.)

Although I appreciate it when I'm asked if I want help at Trader Joe's when I've bought 1-2 cases of wine. Several months ago I was having back problems and I always accepted. In recent months my back has been fine and I've thanked but declined their carrying out help.

If my back gets worse again I'll probably accept their help. Now if only I can find a nice attractive lass to help me carry them in when I get home! ;)

I used to call this store, "the store from hell." Then they built the new one that is three times the size of the old one. Hired all new personnel, trained them to do their job right, and to Serve The Customer. The store is always clean, the aisles are twice as wide as the old store, and they have about 15 electric carts for the disabled. Before they had only two. And their prices have remaned lower than other supemaarkets in my area and is definitely competitive. The workers appear to be happy to be working there. And all I have to do is stop to look over a shelf, and there are three people asking me if I need help. This store has gotten it right. Old fashion service with a smile.

What's your major complaint? Not enough cash registers? Thirty of them here. Five are express. Two at the slow end of the registers. If all operating registers have so many people in llne, another one opens immediately to take the overflow. Can't find a certain item? Wait right there. A worker will go and get it for you. In fact they will bring different sizes so you can take your pick. Plenty of slicing machines in the deli department. No waiting for a machine to be free. Your number is called and your order filled immediately. Plenty of help in the deli. The bakery department will bake a loaf of bread for you while you wait. Free coffee for you while you shop. A small cafe where you can order breakfast for early morning shoppers or lunch for later shoppers. Three different size carts. And no waiting for one like in the old store. A place to sit while waiting for a cab, both inside an outside. In fact there is a special place for cabs to park near the door so you can call one over as you exit. They have thought of everything. :chef:
I expected to read at the end of this post was "and I woke up".:ROFLMAO:

I expected to read at the end of this post was "and I woke up".:ROFLMAO:
Patty, you're still asleep. You dreamed this topic. You dreamed you read Addie's post, you dreamed you replied, and now you're dreaming you're reading my reply to you, me telling you that you're dreaming! ;)

Now the only question unresolved is whether you're a butterfly dreaming that you're a human... :)

But did you get any free items? I'm pretty sure that here in Los Angeles the combination of the adverse media attention caused the stores to adopt the policy that "if our scanner doesn't get the correct price posted on the shelf you'll get the item for free," and that shoppers like me making them give us free items motivated them to fix their systems.

And I'll give kudos to Ralphs, Albertson's, Von's etc. that here in LA they got things fixed. And I'm almost sorry... because I don't get any free stuff anymore! :)

Yeah I did. I also get store coupons for the same item for 50 cents of. :)

did it feel like stealing, only legally?

did it feel like stealing, only legally?

You should get the priorities right. The store was cheating the customer by marking lower prices at the shelves and charging higher prices at the register. That[/i] is stealing.

What I was doing was being rewarded by management by pointing out the few occasions when they had the wrong prices, by giving me a free product, and I was also being bribed to not run to the media screaming "they're still cheating their customers."

I thought of it more as one of those television games, perhaps Jeopardy or Concentration. The most clever contestants get the best rewards.

To think that being awarded a free product for pointing out a store mistake is silly.

i guess the "stealing legally" concept applies foremost to myself. i recognized (then used) my supermarket's system weakness to bring home extra produce and other goodies i wouldn't have purchased otherwise. to ease a guilty conscience, i eventually began to make the price corrections prior to buying my groceries. but some things just don't change, or take a long time to correct. i could walk into that supermarket today (many months later) and emerge with a free bag of apples, half gallon of milk, pound of bacon, etc,etc,etc--only i won't

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom