"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Head Chef

Online Food Shopping - Do/don't you?

How do you do your weekly/monthly food shop?

I do mine online from a big supermercado we have here called Tesco. I just find it so easy to do my shopping this way, and especially at Christmas when I get a BIG shop!

For me, its just a better way to shop for food (we are a family of 4). My days of dragging 2 kids round the supermarket after work are well and truly over. I was so relieved when online shopping started up, so I have been doing it for many years now.

I do still pop into the local store, especially if I decide maybe to cook something in particular at the last minute, or if I just fancy a mooch around, but the main stuff is all shopped for online.

Anyone else do this? I find its quite a good way of budgeting too, less distraction and you don't miss out on offers, they are all online. I always write a list, plan my meals and then away I go. Click click shop.

This leaves more time to do more important things like proper shopping for gorgeous things for me.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
If "online," then, are the goods delivered to you or do you go to a special "online shoppers" area of the business to pick up and pay?

We have a store here in the U.S. called Sam's that has a service called Click 'n' Pull, whereby shoppers choose their items online, they're collected by store personnel and placed in a special Click 'n' Pull holding area for patrons to pick up and pay for at the service desk.

I've been doing this for quite a while and am very pleased with the convenience, especially during the holidays when the store is jam-packed with shoppers and the check-out lines are to the moon. Click 'n' Pull customers check out at the service desk. No lines. Yeah!

The only other online shopping I'm aware of is at sites that have an item/ingredient that I can't get in my area, which is often because we live in a very, very rural area. The nearest large city is about 2 1/2 hours away.

As for "regular" food/grocery shopping, I do ours on Tuesday, which is the day some of our area markets offers a 5% "senior" discount on purchases. Obviously since we are eligible for such a discount we don't have any children at home to drag through the market. Those days are long gone.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't do that. I should check into it again. When I last looked, not many stores around here did it and most of those that did charged more than I consider a reasonable delivery fee. I also like to look at my produce before buying it and for sure the few green grocers out here don't have online shopping.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Wine Guy

I used to buy our groceries online many years ago through a service called "Simon Delivers" (since sold to another company). I had occasional problems with them. For instance, sometimes they ran out certain items, or the wrong items were delivered, or the produce was less than stellar. If I am in a store, I am very picky about produce. What I found is that when people are shopping for you, they are not as picky. Go figure.

So I don't shop that way anymore.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I should also add to say that the only person I trust with choosing our meats/poultry/fish and produce is "me." I would never consider having someone else make those choices, which would definitely negate online shopping for those items.

However, those items I purchase at Sam's are generally pet-related or name brand packaged, paper products (toilet paper, etc.) or canned goods. Hard to mess those up.

In the summer, produce comes from our large backyard garden. Really easy and convenient to shop there.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I echo Steve's and Katie's reasons for not using a shopping service.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Head Chef

Sorry should have explained better. By online I mean I shop from Tesco website and its delivered to my home for a small charge. So I sit at home, get on the website, and shop for everything. Must say am very happy with the quality of fresh produce that is picked for me. If I am unhappy, I get an immediate refund, no quibbles. If anything is damaged, instant refund. Happily neither of these things happen very often. I am particularly impressed with the fresh fish and fruit and veg.

I have shopped online with various different supermarkets, I do like to change now and again. I like Tesco best so far and their customer care is brilliant.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Sorry should have explained better. By online I mean I shop from Tesco website and its delivered to my home for a small charge. So I sit at home, get on the website, and shop for everything. Must say am very happy with the quality of fresh produce that is picked for me. If I am unhappy, I get an immediate refund, no quibbles. If anything is damaged, instant refund. Happily neither of these things happen very often. I am particularly impressed with the fresh fish and fruit and veg.

I have shopped online with various different supermarkets, I do like to change now and again. I like Tesco best so far and their customer care is brilliant.

I'm not aware of anything like Tesco in this country but, even for the sake of convenience, I just couldn't bring myself to pay to have someone deliver what I could pick up myself. Even when all our children were at home, we still managed to do our own grocery shopping. I guess, as my husband says, I'm just "cheep, cheep, cheep." Should be spelled "cheap," but the way my husband says it, he sounds just like a little birdie.

Also, I'm a true list shopper and rarely, if ever, stray from my list. Guess that comes from having to stick to a tight budget for so many years raising 8 children. All those tantalizing endcap displays are lost on me, as are the fluorescent-colored signs that shout "sale."
Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I'm not aware of anything like Tesco in this country...
When I worked in the UK, I shopped at Tescos. The closest comparison over here would be SuperTarget or Walmart. In other words, groceries and household items under one roof.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
When I worked in the UK, I shopped at Tescos. The closest comparison over here would be SuperTarget or Walmart. In other words, groceries and household items under one roof.
Okay, gottcha! Now I understand. Then, in that case, there's certainly no way I'd pay to have items from those two, especially Wal-Mart, delivered. We don't have Target near us and I'm not the biggest fan of Wal-Mart. A limited few items from Sam's is the closest I get to buying from a Wal-Mart-related business. Mostly because I've never been a fan of mega stores.

I grew up with mom-and-pop stores and, thankfully, we still have a few around in our region. Excellent service, surprisingly competitive prices and always a smile.

Tags
food