"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-27-2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We run into a similar situation each year when we go to Aruba. We have a timeshare so cook some of our meals to save a buck. It's a treat to shop for items based on the pictures on the labels and a rudimentary understanding of foreign language (mostly Dutch) to decipher what's in the can. Also, everything is labeled in metric weights and volumes so a little mental math has to take place as well.
I was looking for ideas of what to do with cabbage (have lots--did kimchi, sauerkraut, pickled cabbage)...realized 1/2 through the website that I was reading Dutch. It is very similar to German, but not. I had the same experience when I was on the train from Stockholm to Munich...picked up a newspaper s/one had left behind and realized I was reading a Danish newspaper, not a Swedish one.

All the measurements except 1 were Imperial when I cooked the two recipes for the photographer last week. The person who sources everything emailed me and asked for metric weights for everything. Sometimes, I get really tired of flipping between the two. Next week, I'm weighing the raw ingredients before cooking them so I can give her that info.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:38 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
To me, Dutch looks like German, Danish, and a bit of English stirred together with a few other words.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:48 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Phytonutrients...isn't that just a fancy way of saying Dog-Vitamins??
Old 09-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I nearly sprayed the monitor.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:14 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I nearly sprayed the monitor.
It's my Dad's parting shot, "Make sure you get your dog vitamins." Been calling them that for years.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Rather snobby and patronising to assume that the (wo)man-in-the-street wouldn't be able to understand this. The meaning is quite clear from the context if you read through it and the colour scheme helps.

Just because we are well-read and articulate it doesn't give us the right to sneer, no mater how indirectly, at those who haven't had our educational advantages.

I don't recognise many of the chemical names of the phytonutrients , neither do I need to as they are the naturally occurring phytonutrients. I do, however, make it my business to understand "e numbers" (ie additives - anything from baking soda to MSG in Euro-labelling speak) that appear on the labels of processed foods.) The point that is being made is not that we should all have a degree in food chemistry but that we should be eating a mixture of colours in our fruit and veg consumption in order to get the best from our diet - so much easier to have red (tomatoes), purple (beetroot), orange (carrots), white (garlic) and green (spinach) on your plate (as I did today) than have to consult the chemical dictionary every time we are planning a meal.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
OK ,PF, help me out here. Dog vitamins = phytonutrients....?
Old 09-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

"fido-nutrients" ARF!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Rather snobby and patronising to assume that the (wo)man-in-the-street wouldn't be able to understand this. The meaning is quite clear from the context if you read through it and the colour scheme helps.

Just because we are well-read and articulate it doesn't give us the right to sneer, no mater how indirectly, at those who haven't had our educational advantages.

I don't recognise many of the chemical names of the phytonutrients , neither do I need to as they are the naturally occurring phytonutrients. I do, however, make it my business to understand "e numbers" (ie additives - anything from baking soda to MSG in Euro-labelling speak) that appear on the labels of processed foods.) The point that is being made is not that we should all have a degree in food chemistry but that we should be eating a mixture of colours in our fruit and veg consumption in order to get the best from our diet - so much easier to have red (tomatoes), purple (beetroot), orange (carrots), white (garlic) and green (spinach) on your plate (as I did today) than have to consult the chemical dictionary every time we are planning a meal.
I agree for the most part, though I believe the point is that scary sounding chemicals can be good for us. We have met too many people who "don't eat chemicals". I sometimes ask if they photosynthesize instead.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
From Wiki: Fido (dog), a famous dog and symbol of loyalty

Phyto- sounds like Fido

Nutrients = vitamins

Dog Vitamins...just word play.