"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Pronounce this!

Would you buy items if they had these words on the packages?

This is why I think the saying "I don't eat what I can't pronounce" makes no sense. What people really mean is, "I don't want to eat it if I don't know what it is." Besides, I studied several languages and got quite good at pronunciation. I doubt one of these can trip me up That's not a good basis for nutrition decisions, either.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Master Chef

I would buy the items, I'm not sure I would buy all of the claims.

I have wondered about this in a slightly different way over the years. My area of CNY has traditionally been a resettlement area for refugees. The new folks shop based on what they see, not based on what the label says. They stick to the perimeter of the store buying fresh food that looks familiar to them. When they venture into the interior of the store I think they rely mainly on the pictures shown on the boxes and cans. I bet they get some funny and perhaps frustrating experiences when they get home and open the containers. I have often wondered how I would do in a similar situation.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
... When they venture into the interior of the store I think they rely mainly on the pictures shown on the boxes and cans. I bet they get some funny and perhaps frustrating experiences when they get home and open the containers. I have often wondered how I would do in a similar situation.
We run into a similar situation each year when we go to Aruba. We have a timeshare so cook some of our meals to save a buck. It's a treat to shop for items based on the pictures on the labels and a rudimentary understanding of foreign language (mostly Dutch) to decipher what's in the can. Also, everything is labeled in metric weights and volumes so a little mental math has to take place as well.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Aunt Bea, I had a problem like that when I went to Turkey with my mom and some other relatives for a vacation. I went grocery shopping for a few fill-in items, including cream for coffee. The staff didn't speak English (although they were wonderful otherwise; it's customary to offer customers apple tea as they shop! I wish we had such great service in the U.S.) and I picked a carton of dairy something based on the picture on the container. It turned out to be either sour cream or maybe crème fraîche or possibly even quark. There are a lot of German and French tourists in Turkey
Old 09-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Rarely is there a package with those words wrapped around those products when I buy them. And I buy most of them. Who knew I was buying and eating The 5 Colors of Phytonutrients? My lesson for the day.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Master Chef

Not difficult to pronounce or understand to me.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
Master Chef

GG, no matter how you pronounce it, fresh fruits and veggies are good for you as long as they are safe to eat. A rotten pear is a rotten pear, no matter how many phytonutrients it has in it!

Maybe when people state "I don't eat it if I can't pronounce it", they're talking about ingredient lists on the side of processed foods. Um, it's processed, people. Some of those chemical names are scarier than the scary-enough ingredient!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Maybe when people state "I don't eat it if I can't pronounce it", they're talking about ingredient lists on the side of processed foods. Um, it's processed, people. Some of those chemical names are scarier than the scary-enough ingredient!
They probably are. That still doesn't mean there's necessarily something wrong with eating them. I'm not saying there are no problems with processed food. I'm just suggesting that people be aware of what they actually contain. A blanket statement that all chemicals are bad is not helpful, imo.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #9
Master Chef

Yeah GG, like everything else it's Buyer Beware. You have to know the enemy. I'll be among the first to say that there are friendly chemicals. Whenever I'm sick with something serious I have to admit I submit to living better through chemistry.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Tocopherol, not a problem. It's basically vitamin E. It's used as an anti-oxidant. On the other hand, microcrystalline cellulose and polysorbate 80 I avoid. They are artificial and are used as emulsifier/fat substitute/thickener. I find that things that are made without these ingredients taste better than the versions with them. They are usually a way to cut back on the better tasting, more expensive ingredients.

It's easy enough to use a smartphone to look up the mystery ingredients while you are at the store.