"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cool Recipe changes for Electric to Gas Oven

My wife and I are going nuts trying to bake in a gas oven when all our experience has been in an electric. For instance, a favorite coffee cake recipe in a bread loaf pan has a wet center that makes up 30% of the loaf and it's inedible unless you like raw dough. Does anyone have a rough conversion factor from going from electric to gas... i.e. 20% less temp and 15% longer cooking time? I know both ovens are calibrated to the same temp, and that gas gives off moisture and gas cooks faster but how do we change our recipes so we don't waste ingredients? Thanks for your ideas... Bob

Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Are you positive they are the same temps? Meaning, have/had you checked them both with a separate oven thermometer?

I only ask because I haven't seen variations like the ones you've mentioned in recipes. That said, I have been cooking with gas for several years.

Sorry to hear about your frustration! I can only imagine. Hope that whatever the problem, you can get it sorted soon.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

The source of the heat, gas or electric, shouldn't effect the cooking time for a particular item. If the coffee cake in a bread loaf pan took an hour to cook in an electric oven, it should take an hour in a gas oven.

If all factors are the same; recipe, ingredients, pan, cooking time; the only variable is the oven. To me that suggests one of the two ovens' temperatures was/is inaccurate.

If you have verified the gas oven's actual temperature to the set temperature then perhaps the electric oven was off, causing this difference.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Head Chef

There should be no difference in baking time for a recipe in either gas or electric, or at least not because of the heat source. It sounds as if there may be a difference between the stoves in the actual temperature at any given setting. You may want to have it calibrated, or at least check it yourself to see how the heat setting compares to the actual heat of the oven.

In any case, the time specified in any baking recipe is merely a suggestion. Numerous factors affect how long it will take the item to cook completely, such as the starting temperature of the batter or dough, the humidity, the flour used, how quickly the oven comes back to temperature after the door is opened, how close the item is to the heat source, etc. etc.

Rather than simply following the suggested time, judge to see if a cake's done by 1) touch -- it should bounce back nearly 100% when you lightly press it in the middle with your finger tip, 2) inserting a toothpick in the center -- if it comes out clean, the cake is done, and 3) by appearance -- when the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, it's probably done.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

yes, I have checked both for the temp. Thanks for your inputs - bob
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

bob,where are you? location can play a role in baking differences. Are you in a humid area? Then the slightly more humid air of a gas oven may affect your recipe slightly. or high altitude? just wondering.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
bob,where are you? location can play a role in baking differences. Are you in a humid area? Then the slightly more humid air of a gas oven may affect your recipe slightly. or high altitude? just wondering.
But the problems Bob described were hardly slight.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
Buffalo, NY and we have A/C running too.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

So, to recap:

Same recipe both times
Same ingredient brands...
Same assembly process
Same pan, same pan size and same pan material
Same oven temperatures
Rack in same position in the oven
Oven fully preheated each time
Both oven temps verified as accurate to set temps.

If all of the above are answered with a 'yes', I don't have a clue.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

yes, all these variables are the same - gas creates moisture when it burns, so doesn't that have some effect? Also, this gas range has more variation in the temp range. about 30F

Tags
conversion, electric, gas, recipe