"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Fantastic car and for your birthday even better, what color was it?
She was canary yellow and her name was Maggie. The only problem I had was that in the rain, the drive shaft <?> would lock and I'd have to go under the hood with the jack handle and the copper hammer and tap it back into position so she'd start. She was really, really sweet.

The boys in town (I lived in a small town) would pick her up and turn her around so she was facing the wrong way if I'd parallel parked. And, I had a terrible time keeping a gas cap-that was "stolen" regularly. My older brother used to sneak her out to X-rated drive-in movies...I used to park her behind the house but he'd still sneak her out--and in the winter, my folks made me put her up on blocks, but come spring, the wheels went on, the top came off, and Maggie and I were on the road! And, my mom, who worked as a surgical RN and worked emergency call, would keep clean panties in the glovebox...my Mom loved driving Maggie when she was on call...

I loved Maggie...there was a local back road that had the most amazing "S" curves and racing Maggie on those "S" curves with the top down was...well, now I'd say dangerous, but at the time, beyond fun.

My brother had his choice of cars when he turned 16--for some reason, he picked a Dodge Colt station wagon. I went with the sexy car--but, I will say this, the man who restored Maggie only would sell it to my folks if I promised to wear the seatbelt. This was before the seatbelt law. I have worn my seatbelt everytime I've been in a car since Maggie.
__________________

__________________
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #52
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13
Game day today ;)

Things are different now, I emmigrated to Canada from England 6 1/2 years go.

I can either afford a car and no insurance, or insurance and no car!

See my problem? I did however extend the lease on my sisters colbolt for a month, that was wild!

MGB's are great little cars, I've always loved the look of them.

Aston martin DB5, a great car to own. My dad had a jaguar XJR, which we once went 250km/hr in (in England) and after that he bought a jaguar XK8.

OOO one of my favourites of his was a BMW 840, that's a rare car, look it up. Gorgeous!

Now we have a Merc CLK 320 which we got a DEAL on (we lost basically all our money when business stuff didn't work out) but with my dad's job he has a car allowance hehe :D Too bad he won't give me the keys, and now he hides them as he got it on the Thursday and went out with my mother on friday night and I went out with the Mercedes! It was gorgeous. I wish I could take it out tonight to pick her up!

Where are those keys I wonder

So I don't have a mixer just a blender, so i'll have to mix the egg whites by hand, any tips?
__________________

__________________
Zathorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #53
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathorious View Post
Game day today ;)
Opening Day for the Dodgers too! Hope you score big tonight! Good luck.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #54
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Bolas, in 1973, when we lived in U.S. Navy housing in Bremerton, Wa., we had a neighbor who had just returned from a tour of duty in Lockerbie, Scotland. He brought back a Scottish wife and an Austin Mini. One day while working on the engine of this tiny, tiny car, he dropped a wrench. It never did fall out the bottom, and in fact I don't think you could even see the ground from any vantage point in the engine compartment! It was the first differential engine I had ever seen. I also recall him saying something about having to reach through a hole in the back of the glove box in order to reach the oil filter. Whether or not that was true, I don't know, but it makes for a fun story and makes a statement about how cramped it was around the engine.

I kid you not, his name was Maxwell Smart!
The original Smart car, Selkie mate they were a small car but I was more agile then so if you got in the back and pushed the seat forward you could have a reasonable Tete a Tete
The standard Mini had a terrible pudding stirrer gearstick and the state owned company that made them made a loss on every car. We had a pit to do routine oil changes ect.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #55
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
She was canary yellow and her name was Maggie. The only problem I had was that in the rain, the drive shaft <?> would lock and I'd have to go under the hood with the jack handle and the copper hammer and tap it back into position so she'd start. She was really, really sweet.

The boys in town (I lived in a small town) would pick her up and turn her around so she was facing the wrong way if I'd parallel parked. And, I had a terrible time keeping a gas cap-that was "stolen" regularly. My older brother used to sneak her out to X-rated drive-in movies...I used to park her behind the house but he'd still sneak her out--and in the winter, my folks made me put her up on blocks, but come spring, the wheels went on, the top came off, and Maggie and I were on the road! And, my mom, who worked as a surgical RN and worked emergency call, would keep clean panties in the glovebox...my Mom loved driving Maggie when she was on call...

I loved Maggie...there was a local back road that had the most amazing "S" curves and racing Maggie on those "S" curves with the top down was...well, now I'd say dangerous, but at the time, beyond fun.

My brother had his choice of cars when he turned 16--for some reason, he picked a Dodge Colt station wagon. I went with the sexy car--but, I will say this, the man who restored Maggie only would sell it to my folks if I promised to wear the seatbelt. This was before the seatbelt law. I have worn my seatbelt everytime I've been in a car since Maggie.
Great memories, the Mgb on song had a great warbleing exhaust note, she would have been very pretty with non standard knock on wire wheels, the car of my dreams then was the Austin Healy 3000.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #56
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathorious View Post
Game day today ;)

Things are different now, I emmigrated to Canada from England 6 1/2 years go.

I can either afford a car and no insurance, or insurance and no car!

See my problem? I did however extend the lease on my sisters colbolt for a month, that was wild!

MGB's are great little cars, I've always loved the look of them.

Aston martin DB5, a great car to own. My dad had a jaguar XJR, which we once went 250km/hr in (in England) and after that he bought a jaguar XK8.

OOO one of my favourites of his was a BMW 840, that's a rare car, look it up. Gorgeous!

Now we have a Merc CLK 320 which we got a DEAL on (we lost basically all our money when business stuff didn't work out) but with my dad's job he has a car allowance hehe :D Too bad he won't give me the keys, and now he hides them as he got it on the Thursday and went out with my mother on friday night and I went out with the Mercedes! It was gorgeous. I wish I could take it out tonight to pick her up!

Where are those keys I wonder

So I don't have a mixer just a blender, so i'll have to mix the egg whites by hand, any tips?
Yes buy a mixer and save your hand for other things.
One of my big brother companies made the alloy wheels for Jags, my first Jag was a 23yrs old XK 150 in 1973, I drove it to Munich and sold it for cash, I then bought a left hooker red Porsche 2.2 litre 911 targa with a surrey top. I drove it back to the UK, I left London in a hurry at 03.00 and got to Chester at 04.45 about 200 mls
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #57
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, bolas.

i wonder how many got that?
Tom mate it appears to have gone over everyone else's head
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Tom mate it appears to have gone over everyone else's head
So, please translate.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,698
a gentleman should take off his hat indoors unless the roof is leaking. lol.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #60
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
So, please translate.
Ok Tax, if you look at Zaths pic of a very civilised meal you can spot Zath he's the one wearing a rather fetching kangol cap aka reservoir dogs
__________________

__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.