Salsa Shelf Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
How long would an open jar of salsa be good if refrigerated? We don't use a lot of salsa since there's only the two of us. I buy the smallest jars I can find. I opened a jar last week to use for tacos, but we didn't use very much. I wanted to put some on my eggs this morning but I was afraid it might be bad. Don't say smell it, because my sense of smell is very poor. Many time I ask DH to smell things, but he wasn't home this morning. I dumped it out. Would it help to put the jar in a ziplock bag?

It's only been open a week? No problem at all. The salsa is very acidic so should keep well. It should be good for several weeks.

Heck, I keep mine in the fridge for months. We get the big jars. Most of the time, there is a "use by" date stamped on the jar somewhere. And even after that, it's fine.

Last edited:
Heck, I keep mine in the fridge for months. We get the big jars. Most of the time, there is a "use by" date stamped on the jar somewhere. And even after that, it's fine.

I thought the "use by" date only applies before you open the jar. I have used things beyond the exp date, but only if it hasn't been open. It would be such a big help if my nose worked properly, although there are time when I'm glad it doesn't!

We keep salsa in the fridge until its all gone. I would say easily a month or even more.
We don't buy big containers, but there is only so much two people can eat.

I use lots of it though. Is great on omelets.

I think it varies depending on brands. I buy one brand that I've had to throw out a few times. It would depend on the ingredients. Salt content would be a big factor.
Same here, unfortunately, it's my favourite brand. It eventually starts to grow mould.

I would say it will keep a month easily.

Mine has never gone bad either. And we go through a lot too. I keep a big jug of Pace in the fridge till it's gone.

Carol, you can freeze it too. I do that with my homemade salsa.

Last edited:
I was throwing out the half the jar on average. It gets mold after a while.
I have since switched to buying the small cans of salsa de jalapeno for about 50 cents a can. I add fresh cilantro and green onions to it. Way more flavor than the leading brands of jarred salsa and I waste very little if any. They have several types to choose from but the jalapeno salsa is my favorite. I don't taste any tinny canned flavor either.

I like El Pato brand:

elpatotomatosauce7ozduck.jpg

If I don't use Pace brand up within a few weeks (it gets lost in my fridge!) it will go bad.

Of the two, I prefer the El Pato brand, but Pace is chunkier so it depends.......
I use El Pato a lot for dipping flauta into (or those frozen taquitos when I'm rushed or lazy).

As formeandthem said------ adding cilantro makes it (or others) even better. But I find it hard to find a food that cilantro doesn't make better, except strawberry shortcake. :LOL:

I have 2 more jars of salsa downstairs in my food storage area. Any time I see it on sale I grab a jar, even if I don't need it right away. I do not have a preferred brand, but we like it mild. I think I will start to use it on more foods so I will use it up faster.

I recently heard that using very hot salsa or hot sauce on your food is good for losing weight. You tend to eat less food. I guess that's wouldn't work for someone who really loves hot, hot salsa and hot sauce.

My son makes his own salsa, but it's very hot. He grows his own tomatoes, peppers, onions and even cilantro and other herbs. I don't know where he got this interest. He certainly didn't learn it from our side of the family!!

Pace HOT is hard to find, if not impossible, on grocery shelves. Amazon carries it but you have to buy a package of 3 and it's not available for Prime.

So I just add Tabasco or jalapenos. :(

Pace HOT is hard to find, if not impossible, on grocery shelves. Amazon carries it but you have to buy a package of 3 and it's not available for Prime.

So I just add Tabasco or jalapenos. :(

We can get "hot" Pace picante sauce. Seems common in these parts.

We can get "hot" Pace picante sauce. Seems common in these parts.

Well, I do know that I live in the Great American Epicurean Desert now. So that may be the reason.

This city thinks that Marie Callender's is where you go for the height of food delights. And if you can't pronounce it, you do NOT eat it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom