"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
You will wind up with the most flavorful, beautifully browned sausages you ever ate. Nothing sticks. Do not add oil to the roaster, the sausages give up a lot of their own fat. Ahhhh it's good to be Italian.
That sounds absolutely excellent. I often find that draining off the excess fat at the last moment adds so much more flavor. The fat seems to absorb all the spicings. When I am feeling really uptight about it (as in those dieting moments), I will even drain the ingredients in a colander--with a brisk hot water bath before returning to the pan--or incorporating in the rest of the recipe.

KW

Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, the results were as if I did everything in a crockpot. Tasty, but everything had a soggy consistency.
I ended up draining just about all the juice away after a half hour, there was quite a bit, then I left the lid off for another 20 minutes. It didn't make a difference, everything was still generating juice. That's how it usually comes out when I do it on the stovetop if I don't use two pans, but I was aiming for that dry sausage/juicy peppers and onions consistency.
On the plus side.... the pan had a bit of brown on the bottom when I put it in the oven and that all lifted away, so cleanup was a breeze.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Well, the results were as if I did everything in a crockpot. Tasty, but everything had a soggy consistency.
I ended up draining just about all the juice away after a half hour, there was quite a bit, then I left the lid off for another 20 minutes. It didn't make a difference, everything was still generating juice. That's how it usually comes out when I do it on the stovetop if I don't use two pans, but I was aiming for that dry sausage/juicy peppers and onions consistency.
On the plus side.... the pan had a bit of brown on the bottom when I put it in the oven and that all lifted away, so cleanup was a breeze.
Sorry you were disappointed. Next time you should try it with no added water or beer). Try mnostly cooking the sausage then adding the veggies so they won't overcook and get mushy.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Eureka!

ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds of Italian sausage, cut into two-inch pieces
Olive Oil
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 large onion, any variety
6 ounces (approx) Portobello mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
2 cups of chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned in juice
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms into strips. Peel and mince garlic cloves. Brown sausage thoroughly in a sauté pan with olive oil. Remove the sausages and sauté the onions, and peppers in the sausage juice, adding olive oil if required, until soft. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to sauté until the garlic is just barely browned. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and reduce heat to medium low. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as desired. Add sausage and allow to simmer, at least partially covered, for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #15
Head Chef

One of my favourite sausage dishes is spetzofai, a Greek dish. Chop up a whole heap of long green peppers (or bell peppers if that's what you have, in which case I might use red rather than green peppers as green ones can be a bit bitter) and fry in olive oil till softened. Remove from pan and brown sausages (I cut into two or three pieces beforehand to make it look like there are more than there really are). Return peppers to the pan and add a can of tomatoes chopped in the tin with a long knife. Simmer away for 25 minutes or so until the sausages are done. To stretch it a bit further and to make it seem a bit healthier, add some boiled white beans towards the end of the cooking period.

Simple, quick and easy, but very tasty if made with good sausages
Old 04-16-2007, 08:52 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, Andy, I guess I'm better off holding off on any liquid and doing the whole thing on the stovetop... cooking the sausage all the way through where it can be better regulated to get it how I like it. I don't seem to have this problem with deer sausage, which obviously generates a lot less juices.

Those recipes sound good. Caine's with pasta and Snoop's with scrambled eggs
Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
Executive Chef

all this thread has gotten me hankerin' for sausages and peppers...gonna be this week I know it!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Caine,
Thanks for the post, I copied and pasted it just.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I made this last night in one SS pan:

1 package/6 links sweet italian sausage
1 Green bell pepper, sliced
1 Yellow onion, sliced
1/2 can whole tomatoes (about 6) w/sauce roughly chopped
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 -3/4 cup red wine
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 cloves minced garlic
olive oil, salt & pepper

Coat a heated pan with olive oil, cook the sausage links until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the onion & green pepper, cook until just tender then add the garlic, pinch salt and pepper to taste. Deglaze with red wine and reduce for a minute or two. Slice the sausage on the bias and add to pan along with the tomatoes, tomato sauce and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook until the sausage has completely cooked. NOTE: The longer you cook and reduce the sauce the better it will taste. I cooked mine for about 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. If the pan seems to dry up just add a tablespoon of olive oil.

Served on grilled sub rolls.