Sausage, onions, peppers, one SS pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Let me run this by you and please tell me if you think it will work.
I'd like to cook the above subject line in one pan, I'd like to use my new SS saute pan. I will not be making a gravy, so don't intend to deglaze. I'm hoping enough oil doesn't sticky things up too bad on the bottom of the pan. Here's what I plan to do; Start the sausage links in some oil and lightly brown, add the onions and peppers and some butter for added flavor, get everything integrated and semi-cooked, then put the lid on it and put it in the oven to finish it off. 350 for 1/2 hour maybe? I'm hoping by putting it in the oven that about the time things might be starting to stick... they won't. I remember someone I used to know cooking the sausage in the oven, I think they used a spearate pan for the veggies on the stove top, it was a long time ago, and I liked it better than if done the whole way on the stove top.

What do you think? Worth a try?

Thanks

looks good to me, just don`t use too much in way of oils/fats plenty will come out of the sausage during cooking, it Might be an idea to add just a Little bit of liquid to the pan before putting it in the oven too.
you get a better heat to food contact and it ensures nothing burns at the start that can taint the food.

I`ve done exactly what you`re doing, but I do mine stove top only, and I cook the sausage 1`st and then do the veg in those oils and return the sausage again when nearly done.

same effect really :)

YT has a good alternative to your method. Either way is good.

After you empty the pan, get it hot on the stovetop and add some tap water and stir it around with a flat spatula to clean the pan easily. You are basically deglazing the pan, but to clean it, not for a sauce.

Thanks. I'll add a little water to the pan before I stick it in the oven. Who know... maybe it will deglaze itself while in the oven.
I'll let you know how it comes out.

Oh, and I used to do it all on the stovetop, using either a second pan or reserving the sausage in a bowl and using the same pan, but I'm trying to get it down to one pan only that gets dirty in the cooking process. I'm lazy like that ;)

I swear I posted my Italian Sausage & Peppers recipe here earlier this week, which is made in one stainless saute pan, and if you keep the heat under control, nothing sticks to the pan.

pacanis said:
Thanks. I'll add a little water to the pan before I stick it in the oven. Who know... maybe it will deglaze itself while in the oven.

Oh, and I used to do it all on the stovetop, using either a second pan or reserving the sausage in a bowl and using the same pan, but I'm trying to get it down to one pan only that gets dirty in the cooking process. I'm lazy like that ;)

My suggestion to add water for deglazing was for AFTER you finished cooking and emptied the pan.

Caine said:
I swear I posted my Italian Sausage & Peppers recipe here earlier this week, which is made in one stainless saute pan, and if you keep the heat under control, nothing sticks to the pan.

It might stick if you add cold butter to the pan. Try melting the butter first and then add it. I remember you making rabbit (yum) but I have not found you It sausage & peppers yet...still looking.

pacanis said:

2 points, water`s ok to add but a drop of whatever beer you`re drinking at the time is better and you only want a few T Spoons, nothing more.

point 2, I never used a second pan or bowl, I was Mega Super Hyper Lazy and put them on the plate I was going to eat off anyway :chef:

Italian sausages with sweet peppers and onions are one of my family's favorite things to eat so I've been making these for years. Here's what I do: I put the sausage in a skillet with a couple Tbsp. olive oil and just barely brown them. Add hot pepper flakes (optional) then remove and add the peppers and onions cut into 2 inch chunks. Do the same with those. Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup red wine, not water. Place all ingredients into a roaster or pan of your choice . Cover and roast at 325 for about 40 minutes. Remove the cover, turn all of the ingredients over, (just mix them up) and roast uncovered at 350 for about 15 minutes. If there is a lot of fat in the roaster drain it out with a baster or spoon at this time.
You can brown and roast them in the same pan if you choose to. Absolute perfection. You will wind up with the most flavorful, beautifully browned sausages you ever ate. Nothing sticks. Do not add oil to the roaster, the sausages give up a lot of their own fat. Ahhhh it's good to be Italian.

Last edited:
You may have Caine. I didn't search before asking and wanted to combine all my concerns, like using a SS pan for one. I've always used non-stick and am still concerned when I cook something I haven't cooked before in SS.

I know Andy. I was referring to YT's advice about adding water as a cooking medium before putting in the oven. I was thinking this might lead to a deglazing of sorts as things are baking and bubbling.

YT, I already added about 1/3c water and it's baking as we speak, but upon Drama's advice about stirring things up as it's baking, I will recheck my liquid level. My bad about not using the beer I had just opened :^)

Thanks for helping me dial in my baking times and temps Drama Queen!

Things are starting to smell good. Time to cut up a potato for some fries.

Drama Queen said:
You will wind up with the most flavorful, beautifully browned sausages you ever ate. Nothing sticks. Do not add oil to the roaster, the sausages give up a lot of their own fat. Ahhhh it's good to be Italian.

That sounds absolutely excellent. I often find that draining off the excess fat at the last moment adds so much more flavor. The fat seems to absorb all the spicings. When I am feeling really uptight about it (as in those dieting moments), I will even drain the ingredients in a colander--with a brisk hot water bath before returning to the pan--or incorporating in the rest of the recipe. :cool:

KW

Well, the results were as if I did everything in a crockpot. Tasty, but everything had a soggy consistency.
I ended up draining just about all the juice away after a half hour, there was quite a bit, then I left the lid off for another 20 minutes. It didn't make a difference, everything was still generating juice. That's how it usually comes out when I do it on the stovetop if I don't use two pans, but I was aiming for that dry sausage/juicy peppers and onions consistency.
On the plus side.... the pan had a bit of brown on the bottom when I put it in the oven and that all lifted away, so cleanup was a breeze.

pacanis said:
Well, the results were as if I did everything in a crockpot. Tasty, but everything had a soggy consistency.
I ended up draining just about all the juice away after a half hour, there was quite a bit, then I left the lid off for another 20 minutes. It didn't make a difference, everything was still generating juice. That's how it usually comes out when I do it on the stovetop if I don't use two pans, but I was aiming for that dry sausage/juicy peppers and onions consistency.
On the plus side.... the pan had a bit of brown on the bottom when I put it in the oven and that all lifted away, so cleanup was a breeze.

Sorry you were disappointed. Next time you should try it with no added water or beer). Try mnostly cooking the sausage then adding the veggies so they won't overcook and get mushy.

Eureka!

ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds of Italian sausage, cut into two-inch pieces
Olive Oil
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 large onion, any variety
6 ounces (approx) Portobello mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
2 cups of chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned in juice
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms into strips. Peel and mince garlic cloves. Brown sausage thoroughly in a sauté pan with olive oil. Remove the sausages and sauté the onions, and peppers in the sausage juice, adding olive oil if required, until soft. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to sauté until the garlic is just barely browned. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and reduce heat to medium low. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as desired. Add sausage and allow to simmer, at least partially covered, for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.

One of my favourite sausage dishes is spetzofai, a Greek dish. Chop up a whole heap of long green peppers (or bell peppers if that's what you have, in which case I might use red rather than green peppers as green ones can be a bit bitter) and fry in olive oil till softened. Remove from pan and brown sausages (I cut into two or three pieces beforehand to make it look like there are more than there really are). Return peppers to the pan and add a can of tomatoes chopped in the tin with a long knife. Simmer away for 25 minutes or so until the sausages are done. To stretch it a bit further and to make it seem a bit healthier, add some boiled white beans towards the end of the cooking period.

Simple, quick and easy, but very tasty if made with good sausages

Yeah, Andy, I guess I'm better off holding off on any liquid and doing the whole thing on the stovetop... cooking the sausage all the way through where it can be better regulated to get it how I like it. I don't seem to have this problem with deer sausage, which obviously generates a lot less juices.

Those recipes sound good. Caine's with pasta and Snoop's with scrambled eggs :)

I made this last night in one SS pan:

1 package/6 links sweet italian sausage
1 Green bell pepper, sliced
1 Yellow onion, sliced
1/2 can whole tomatoes (about 6) w/sauce roughly chopped
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 -3/4 cup red wine
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 cloves minced garlic
olive oil, salt & pepper

Coat a heated pan with olive oil, cook the sausage links until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the onion & green pepper, cook until just tender then add the garlic, pinch salt and pepper to taste. Deglaze with red wine and reduce for a minute or two. Slice the sausage on the bias and add to pan along with the tomatoes, tomato sauce and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook until the sausage has completely cooked. NOTE: The longer you cook and reduce the sauce the better it will taste. I cooked mine for about 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. If the pan seems to dry up just add a tablespoon of olive oil.

Served on grilled sub rolls.

Back
Top Bottom