"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I like Kosher salt and many varieties of sea salt. Is it better? I don't know, I just know I like it.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Master Chef

I use kosher salt, not because it tastes better, I really don't feel a big difference in types of salt, only in my wallet. But I like the larger grains so that I can "pinch" them, and I use less because I control more. I keep plain old Mortons around for when I need to measure. Then there is the iodine issue. My husband remembers when he grew up a lot of people had goiters, so he likes to have some iodized salt.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I found this interesting website: Sea Salt & Gourmet Salts - Guide. It's a commercial site but the information is good.

Commercial site for sure. I especially liked the 'organic' sea salt. Using the 'organic' label to capitalize on the trend.

I wonder if it was free range too.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Cook

A friend gave me a bag of Himalayan salt. Very coarse and has pink bits in it. VERY salty stuff. Put some in a grinder and use it occasionally, but I'm not sure what the benefits are over my usual coarse sea salt.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slett View Post
VERY salty stuff.
It is no saltier than any other salt (NaCL).
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Sea salt for everything exept baking. I find that sea salt has a less salty taste.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Executive Chef

If by better you mean more healthful,marginally. Table salt, kosher salt, and rock salt for water softeners and melting ice are all 100% Sodium Chloride (NaCl), while sea salt is approximately 98% NaCl and 2% other salt compounds.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Commercial site for sure. I especially liked the 'organic' sea salt. Using the 'organic' label to capitalize on the trend.

I wonder if it was free range too.
Organic is the new Oat bran.

What I would like to know is how long they're going to get away with claiming their salt is organic, considering salt is a mineral, and therefore can not be organic!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
So what do you think? Table salt or sea salt?
I don't find this to be a one or the other question. I prefer Kosher salt for almost everything. But I occasionally use sea salt as a finishing salt - maybe "edible garnish" is a more apt phrase.

I've read Kurlansky's book. He discusses in great detail how unrefined sea salt was used throughout history, mostly because people had no other choices. But he also goes on to say that refined salt, when available, was almost universally preferred. I think that still holds true today, for the most part. Unrefined sea salt has become sort of a foodie fad item in recent years, but I don't see it as a replacement for refined salt.

As far as pinching salt out of a dish, I agree it's easier to get a feel for it this way, and also makes it harder to over-salt food. I have a stove side salt cellar I use for seasoning. I fill mine with Kosher salt.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
In Denmark it is very common to have tiny little salt cellars at every place setting. There is often a teensy little spoon with it. Some people swear by picking up the salt with their fingers. They claim that there is a tiny amount of skin oils that get into the salt and add extra dimension. The salt in the tiny little salt cellars is always coarse salt (well, maybe medium).
That's very interesting to hear about pinching salt with your fingers. I like the idea of having ones own individual salt cellar.

Tags
salt