Shiso Usages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loprraine

Executive Chef
Firstly, I hope I'm posting in the right spot. First time I've started a thread .

I've planted Shiso for the first time this year, and after planting my 3rd batch of seeds, I'm going to have a bumper crop. Yeah! Do any of you grow it? And if so, what all do you do with it? Thanks!

The seeds were sent to me from a friend in Japan. When she was here last year, she described it as Japanese Basil. It grows like basil., and tastes a bit similar, but yet different. I've been using it wherever I sould use basil, but just looking for something different to do with it. She also sent me edamame seeds!!!:) (soybeans)

loprraine, here's a thread from just a few weeks ago. umm, you posted there but maybe you forgot.

the only shiso that i've ever had was the korean variety, used as a "lettuce" wrap for grilled meat like bulgogi or joo mul look. i would say it was closer to a mildly flavored mint than basil. but the japanese variety might be different.
my new neighbors are growing a ton of it, so i'm hoping to swap some of my tomatoes for a bundle.

Wow - thanks for all those recipes. I believe that I started a thread here some time ago asking about Shiso/Perilla, as it's a naturalized plant here in Virginia & I have it coming up EVERYWHERE!!!! Certainly don't need to plant it. The wild plant ranges from all green (in the shade) to green with a purplish cast (in full sun).

It smells wonderful (sort of like a basil/mint cross) & so far I've only used it to garnish sushi & chopped in salads. Thanks to Daisy, I now have a few other dishes to try before frost cuts in down in a few months.

Buckytom, I hate getting old. First the mind, then the eyes. You're right, I should have done a search. My apologies.

Daisy, thank you so much for the recipes.

Breezy, I actually sent seeds to a friend in Stanardsville. Silly me! Little did we know!:)

I wouldn't worry about it Loprraine. Even though it's naturalized here in VA, that doesn't necessarily mean that your friends in Standarsville have it on their property.

While I have lots of it on my farm, & I often find it in the surrounding woodlots, my neightbors on 2 sides don't have any of it.

One thing you can tell your friends is that once they sow it & let some of go to seed, they'll never be without it - lol!!!!

Back
Top Bottom