"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
Head Chef

Strengths : Vegetarian cuisines, Italian and Mexican

Weaknesses : Indian, Asian

Although my Indian and Asian food is not bad, it tastes more like I am " trying" to make Indian and Asian, but there is something missing. Just doesnt taste like the stuff I go out for.

Dislikes : Anything that consists of frying or baking. Not that im too bad at it, I just dont like the mess of frying things , and the mess from flour all over the place.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to yourstrulyewalani
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post

Although my Indian and Asian food is not bad, it tastes more like I am " trying" to make Indian and Asian, but there is something missing. Just doesnt taste like the stuff I go out for.
In what I have seen even in home cooked authentic asian cuisine MSG and certain fish sauces and what not are used constantly. Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time cooking good asian food too and I grew up on it. Tastes good if I don't make it!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #23
Head Chef

I have a pantry and refrigerator full of just about any sauce or condiment you can get at the asian market ( including msg), and they seem to still be hiding the stuff I need to make it taste just right. I thought maybe its because im a vegetarian, so obviously I avoid the fish sauces, chicken/ pork based stocks. But, Ive eaten in vegan chinese restaurants which still seem to capture the flavor that i just cant duplicate. Ive also heard that the heat they obtain on their woks is nothing I can compare to in my kitchen, and that may have something to do with it too. I need to get myself a job in a chinese restaurant
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to yourstrulyewalani
MMM do that then send me some of your cooking please! I have given up cooking asian it's just not for me. All the fish sauces and what-nots I cannot get. Even pancit I cannot cook and that's supposed to be easy. What hawaiian can't cook fried rice??? Well, besides this one. If I could make pancit I would be set. The last time I tried the noodles turned out soggy but dry and stuck together in spots and TOO MUCH FISH SAUCE. Icky pooh.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What a really interesting thread, Selkie.....thanks for starting it.
I've been cooking since I was a kid, and never really thought about it before. I'm pretty good at what I like to eat......the best motivation I think.

I'm good at adapting recipes and once in a while, I think outside the box with my own idea.

No offense, Mollyanne, but it is I who makes the best spaghetti sauce ever, although I know nutten about meatballs. The meat is in my sauce, but you'd have to come over for me to teach you. I'd love that.

I don't have any interest in baking.......well, that's wrong. I don't need to eat sweets or breads or refined carbs. SOOO

Have I told you all lately how much I love this place and being a part of it??
Kayelle,
you and I should have a gravy throwdown I learned from my mom and m-i-l and my kids swear I could sell the stuff.We use it on homemade ravioli and pasta. I love cooking anything Italian, French, bread, foccacia, salads
Chinese, Asian, i'd rather have made for me I just get antsy trying to get it all together, I'm lousy at cakes and pies, but love to make cookies, cream puffs, I know nothing about Indian foods although they seem to be taste sensations. Grilling I love but I'm not to good at it. just depends what it is.Summer and fresh veggies is a favorite time. Making pasta is a yes. That's about it for me. Lots still to learn lots to pass on.
kades
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #26
Master Chef

Hey (((Kades))))) I'm ready for the throwdown!! Tomorrow at my house?
My secret is a buttload of dried prochini mushrooms I picked up last year in Italy, and a good bottle of red wine for both the sauce and us. Well, maybe two bottles.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #27
Flour Child

Quote:
No offense, Mollyanne, but it is I who makes the best spaghetti sauce ever, although I know nutten about meatballs. The meat is in my sauce, but you'd have to come over for me to teach you. I'd love that.
haha...bring it on kayelle...although you might have me beat with the awesome mushrooms you have and I can't say as I ever put wine in my sauce like you do. But I will say that I put Black Angus ground beef in my meatballs AND in my sauce! I use mushrooms too and I put a little sugar in the meatsauce to cut the acid of the tomatoes...and fresh parsley and fresh garlic and basil and oregano and olive oil...and parmesan in the last 20 minutes as well as sprinkling on the top. Do you do that? Huh? Do You? Do you?

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:20 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hey (((Kades))))) I'm ready for the throwdown!! Tomorrow at my house?
My secret is a buttload of dried prochini mushrooms I picked up last year in Italy, and a good bottle of red wine for both the sauce and us. Well, maybe two bottles.
You're on, I have the wild mushrooms and the broth from them ready to go..Same for the 2lb of chuck steak. Lets cook
kades
Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #29
Everymom

LPBeier, no issue with pastry here, I'm killer at it. My Home Ec teacher in grade 8 was astonished at how perfect my raspberry turnovers were when everyone else had hard nasty pastry. I firmly believe its all because I'm terminally lazy and don't work the dough too much! Now the choux...well...if you can teach me the Hallelujah chorus will go up all over the continent!

As for the pot roast...get a fatty piece of meat, or only do it for a few hours as opposed to all day. Mostly, again, ignoring it is the key.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Strengths: Pies
Weakness: Fried eggs (don't laugh!)