"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Master Chef

The things we learn

A few months back, I posted a recipe for something I thought I'd created. Recently, I found that I had just re-invented the wheel.

Here's what happened. I wanted chocolate pudding, without all added sugar or starch and was trying to figure out how I could make that happen. So I used 2 packets of sugar-free cocoa mix and added it to 12 oz. of hot milk. I then stirred in a packet of Knox brand unflavored gelatin until it was all dissolved and put the mixture into the fridge until ice-cold. I tried it and was very proud of the results. I had a deeply chocolate desert with the texture of a custard, with no added sugar, and no added starch.

Didn't know what to call it, and so I called it chocolate gelatin. Lately, I've come to find out that Italians have been making a vanilla flavored version of this desert for generations. They call it, wait for it, Panacotta. And here I thought I was all that. Just goes to show that we always need to be humble, and not be afraid to do a little research once in a while, so that we don't have to re-invent the wheel. The only difference between what I made and what's already out there, mine is chocolate, and diabetic friendly. Another lesson learned, and a friendly nod to the genius that is Italian Cuisine.

But I may have a few tricks up my sleeve yet.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Master Chef

Lol! Brilliantly stated Chief :) We all do that at least once I'm sure, I know I have!
At least you invented a different colour wheel!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

Don't feel bad, Goodweed. I was once asked to do a bead work project for a book. Did so, but was worried that it might be too much like another, maybe copyrighted pattern. Talked to a couple of friends. One is a composer who said she's a bit afraid of listening to music because she might inadvertently put something into her compositions. Another is a poet who is a little afraid that she might inadvertently use something she read. the fact is that we've been around for many millenium, and we are often "reinventing the wheel" when we think we're being very original.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Head Chef

Hey Goodweed,
The Diabetic in my house (DH) loved your invention.
I would have never found it if you had not posted it. We all reinvent the wheel some times

Josie
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

In the same vein, I always enjoy Andy's signature.......

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Master Chef

Well said, everyone.

DC is the best community, anywhere. You should all live in the U.P.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

GW, as far as I am concerned you DID invent this. Yours is chocolate, yours is sugar free, yours has a unique name and yours made my chocoholic diabetic Dad a very happy man.

Can't get more original or noteworthy than that in my books! And I "reinvent the wheel" daily to feed my two men who have many culinary challenges!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote