"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #91
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Today I learned that you can't just go buy a new dryer for the advertised price.

We finally got around to going out and picking one up after our smoke out last week.

You have to buy the pigtail new or it voids the warranty. You have to buy the ducting new or it voids the warranty. If you want everything covered you have to buy the special super duper extra warranty that will even pay you if something happens and you use a laundromat.

Sale price - save $75.00

Extras to not void warranty - $65.00

Super duper all inclusive extra warranty - $130.00

Final price .. more than the original price of the dryer LOL

But it's new .. it works and best of all it doesn't fill my house with black noxious smoke !!!
Interesting. That's not a requirement here in New Mexico.

I've never heard of a pigtail.

My boyfriend is from Washington and had never heard of appliances that use natural gas. His parents don't have a gas bill. I DO NOT cook on electric. No how no way. So a gas bill WE will have! (My stove and dryer are gas).

As for moms, I've never been very close to mine. She didn't raise me. Closest thing I had to a steady parent figure was my great grandma. Mostly I was just shuffled from one relative to another. I became independent a lot earlier than most. At least by "modern" standards anyway.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #92
Master Chef

I learned how to say no. It's about time too lol!

I also learned that spraying Doom Insect Spray onto glue that messed on clothing and rubbing gently will remove the glue. Wash after.

I use Doom to remove labels from glass jars but never thought of trying it on clothes.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #93
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I learned how to say no. It's about time too lol!

I also learned that spraying Doom Insect Spray onto glue that messed on clothing and rubbing gently will remove the glue. Wash after.

I use Doom to remove labels from glass jars but never thought of trying it on clothes.
It would be better if you could find a less toxic solution to your stain problems. Do you have a product called Goo Gone?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #94
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It would be better if you could find a less toxic solution to your stain problems. Do you have a product called Goo Gone?
for any oil-based stain, Dawn Dishwashing liquid works wonders. Your "Doom" product probably contains solvents to carry the insecticide, and that's what is removing the stain. As Andy said, GooGone is a wonderful stain remover for sticky stains, such as gum, tars, etc. Gum is made from starches and rubber. The sovent disolves the rubber, and the starches wash away with water. Many household glues are carried by solvents as well. When the solvent completely evaporates, the glue is cured, or dry. Apply new solvent, like fingernail polish remover, toluene, or acetone, or witch hazel, and the glue re-disolves, and if enough solvent is used, dilutes and is easily removed.

These products must be used in a well ventilated area. And ferequent exposure to the skin is not a good thing. Wear gloves.

This generally won't work with epoxy, and a few other glues. For protein based glues, like Elmer's Glue, water will dissolve them.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #95
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thank you Andy and Chief but we don't have either of the products you mentioned.

I only use it to remove outside labels from glass jars and sticky stains on clothes. I wash the clothes well after as well as the jars and never take the lid off the jars while using it.
I'm very careful.
Nail polish remover is fine for labels but it bleaches the clothes.

Make do with what I have I guess

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #96
Master Chef

This past weekend I learned that a 22 year old young man hiking the Appalachian Trail has two hollow legs.

When our son was in high school and playing sports every semester his appetite was huge. Our daugher was also very active (they both are to this day) and could almost keep up with her brother. My friend who was over this weekend could eat both of them under the table! We went out to eat after church and before we took him back to the AT. He ordered and ate a choice that Himself and I would have had to split. Then he had the 1/3 of my brunch I was unable to eat before I got full. When I asked if he was full yet he said "hmm, I'm getting there". I am so glad I don't have to feed this guy on a regular basis!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #97
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
This past weekend I learned that a 22 year old young man hiking the Appalachian Trail has two hollow legs.

When our son was in high school and playing sports every semester his appetite was huge. Our daugher was also very active (they both are to this day) and could almost keep up with her brother. My friend who was over this weekend could eat both of them under the table! We went out to eat after church and before we took him back to the AT. He ordered and ate a choice that Himself and I would have had to split. Then he had the 1/3 of my brunch I was unable to eat before I got full. When I asked if he was full yet he said "hmm, I'm getting there". I am so glad I don't have to feed this guy on a regular basis!
I've never seen a fat hiker, at least not one who hikes seriously. So why did I quite hiking again?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire

Today I learned to not push myself too far. Usually Spike does my vacuuming. But I wanted to get it done. Wrong move. My sternum bone is really hurting and I got out of breath so quickly. I was determined to get the whole room done all at once. I should have done it in sections taking a break between. Lesson learned. But at least it is done except for one little corner. I even cleaned the vent for the AC.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #99
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I've never seen a fat hiker, at least not one who hikes seriously. So why did I quite hiking again?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
You got tired of being serious all the time.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #100
Senior Cook

Today I learned my car has a cabin air filter, for the hvac system that should of been changed frequently depending on mileage and air quality in my area.[About once a year]. Since I have never had it replaced, my local oil change shop quoted me $65.00 for an ''Aftermarket'' installed. Not happy with the price I looked it up on the ''Net'' and found an ''Aftermarket'' was $4.95 and it had simple instructions on how to install it.I followed instructions and vacuumed duct. Whole procedure took about 20 mins. Hvac system has much more air flow and my wallet feels better.