"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #101
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You got tired of being serious all the time.
Now PF, when have you ever known me to be serious? I think that part of my brain hasn't formed yet. I'm not old enough.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #102
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Now PF, when have you ever known me to be serious? I think that part of my brain hasn't formed yet. I'm not old enough.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Enough time for serious about 5 minutes before you turn 95...then back to the fun.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #103
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Washing your hands just using a stainless steel spoon will help to get rid of that garlic/onion odor.

Start using paper plates for hubby. Since you are the one to do the dishes, you get to use regular plates. Why create more work for yourself?
Many years ago as a student sharing flats (apartments) I learned the value of the rule "S/he who cooks doesn't wash the dishes". It leads to a fairer division of labour and has stood me in good stead through numerous relationships and house and flat shares and holidays with friends in rented houses
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #104
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Maybe that's one of the differences between the US and Canada.
And certainly different from the UK - at least with portable appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, etc. Permanent appliances like immersion water heaters and other types of water heaters have to be wired into switched spurs but not anything that can be moved by the owner.

Moveable appliances always come with the cord and plug attached and in the case of dishwashers, washing machines, dryers,etc., which have to have other essential parts such as pipes to attach to the water point or vent tubes, etc., the whole shebang is supplied at a fixed price.

It sounded to me that the store was taking advantage of the customer
Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #105
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Many years ago as a student sharing flats (apartments) I learned the value of the rule "S/he who cooks doesn't wash the dishes". It leads to a fairer division of labour and has stood me in good stead through numerous relationships and house and flat shares and holidays with friends in rented houses
I do the cooking and the dishes. I'm ok with that, because even though I know how to change the oil in my car, Hubby does that, and he cleans up after doing it. Even though I had wood shop in high school and could make my own benches for the deck, Hubby made three benches for the deck (I was probably dusting or vacuuming at the time). I could go on, but you get the picture.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #106
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I do the cooking and the dishes. I'm ok with that, because even though I know how to change the oil in my car, Hubby does that, and he cleans up after doing it. Even though I had wood shop in high school and could make my own benches for the deck, Hubby made three benches for the deck (I was probably dusting or vacuuming at the time). I could go on, but you get the picture.
Hmm, but how often do your cook and wash up and how often does your husband change the oil in the car and make benches
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youssefyb View Post
today i learned with my mother how to prepare a moroccan couscous .it's very delicious
And you need to give us your mother's recipe! Welcome to DC!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Hmm, but how often do your cook and wash up and how often does your husband change the oil in the car and make benches
Mad Cook, a good point.

Chopper is one of those rare women who absolutely adores her DH (Dear Husband). And he adores her. They've been married forever.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

dawh, you hit the nail on the head.

that's so much more important than taking tally.

my wife taught me to drive stick: i taught her how to cook (most things).

it's not important who does what when, but how you feel doing them and having them done for you.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
dawh, you hit the nail on the head.

that's so much more important than taking tally.

my wife taught me to drive stick: i taught her how to cook (most things).

it's not important who does what when, but how you feel doing them and having them done for you.
bt, when I got married right out of high school, the woman stayed home and took care of the family and the husband went off to work each day to support all of us. Then when women started to go out into the work world and started talking about the husband sharing some of the household chores and childcare, I was horrified. Did they really think men would go for that? Much to my surprise, men were beginning to enjoy parenthood. They learned to change diapers as well as wash the dishes. When I had my first son, I was nursing. I didn't think it was possible for him to participate in the feeding. But one night I was so exhausted. Time for a feeding. He got up, put the baby to my breast, had me turn over for breast change. Then he changed the diaper and put the baby back to sleep. I was so touched by his thoughtfulness, I started to cry. I nursed until the baby was four months old. I learned to sleep right through the feedings. Years later he told me that it was something he really enjoyed doing. Not just for me, but enjoyed the time with the baby. He did it quite often. And always on weekends. He also did it with the other two kids that came after. I can honestly say, I was not a sleep deprived new mother.